Climate Central is looking for a senior communications leader to direct all aspects of our external communications and media relations work, with concentration in three main areas—organizational positioning and branding, federal government relations, and local media relations.
- Develop and implement a strategic positioning plan for the organization to build, grow, and protect the Climate Central brand
- Work with Climate Central’s staff researchers, senior science writers, news editors and climate scientists to develop a consistent voice and execute messages and media strategies across all platforms for our content. These include research reports on climate and energy, work with TV weather forecasters nationwide, the World Weather Attribution program, Surging Seas level-rise program, and relationships with external partners, including other climate change communications groups.
- Build and maintain relationships with key reporters, producers, bloggers and writers, with a strong emphasis on local media coverage of Climate Central content around the nation.
- Expand media coverage and impact of all Climate Central content across all platforms, including social media.
- Manage Climate Central’s ongoing tracking of media pickup and evaluation of the impact and success of our communications and reporting.
- With CEO and consultants, develop and manage an effective federal government relations strategy and program.
- Professional education, training, and experience in developing and executing communications plans for public information campaigns. Specific experience in media relations, government relations, and strategic communications highly desirable, but not necessarily all three required.
- Flexibility, entrepreneurship, and capacity to learn new skills critically important.
- 5-10 years leadership and management experience in a multi-service communications group.
- Relationships with key players in environmental, energy, and mainstream media, demonstrated success in leading efforts to build brand identity, and media coverage of an organization.
- Ability to lead a team dealing with breaking stories in the news cycle, in a deadline environment.