DIRECTOR OF GLOBAL OPERATIONS
Project AWARE (projectaware.org), a non-profit organization empowering a global community to be agents of positive change for the ocean, is seeking candidates for the role of Director of Global Operations at our headquarters in Rancho Santa Margarita CA. We are a passionate and committed organization seeking leadership that shares that passion and commitment for our mission and vision.
Originally formed in 1989 as an environmental initiative by the Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI®), Project A.W.A.R.E. existed to increase environmental awareness through diver education. In 1992, with tremendous support from the dive community, Project AWARE Foundation was registered as an independent 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in the U.S. To further engage divers and activists around the world in conservation, Project AWARE became an established UK charity in 1999 and received formal nonprofit status in Australia in 2002.
For nearly 25 years, Project AWARE has grown and changed in response to emerging challenges facing the world’s underwater environments. Since 2011, we’ve focused on two top ocean issues where scuba divers are uniquely positioned to influence change – shark and ray conservation and marine debris. We have been successful in achieving major successes in protecting marine wildlife and fragile marine habitats through science, education, influence and community action.
Reporting to the Project AWARE Board of Directors, with workflow coordinated through the Executive Committee, the Director of Global Operations will have overall strategic and operational responsibility to ensure alignment and execution of Project AWARE’s mission, vision, program goals, and partnerships. With global cross-office and cross-functional staff, the Director will collaborate with, and provide leadership to, the global Management Team, cultivate Project AWARE partners and work with the Board of Directors to manage and improve overall finances and operations.
The Director of Global Operations will be thoroughly committed to Project AWARE’s mission. Areas of oversight will include Leadership and Operations, Financial Management and Strategy Planning, Communications and Marketing as well as Development and Relationship Management. All candidates should have proven and demonstrated leadership, coaching, business and relationship management experience. Specific requirements include:
- Masters in Management, Business Administration or Finance preferred with at least 10 years senior management experience in the non-profit sector
- Track record of effectively leading local and international scale performance and outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Business development experience with expertise in developing and managing high level NGO and corporate partnerships
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management and ability to collaborate and coach senior leadership, staff, develop and oversee high-performance teams
- Past success working with board of directors with the ability to cultivate board member relationships
- Strong marketing and public relations skills, fundraising experience and the ability to engage a range of stakeholders and demographics
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of partners, staff and stakeholders
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and thrive in a high change, multinational work environment
- Positive attitude, mission-driven, action-oriented and self-directed
- Availability to travel as needed
- Working knowledge of other languages a plus
Project AWARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer our employees a unique culture driven by our shared passion for ocean health, competitive salaries, generous time off, outstanding benefits, flexible work schedule, onsite gym and pool, 401(k), with employer match and an opportunity to impact the planet for good.
For consideration please submit your Letter of Interest and Curriculum Vitae to jobs [at] ProjectAWARE.org.
Visit Project AWARE Foundation’s website at www.projectaware.org for additional details on the Foundation’s environmental initiatives and activities.