Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in coordinating across National Ocean Service offices to support the advancement of NOAA’s VDatum models.
- Lead the compilation and delivery of tidal and geodetic relationships based on bench mark elevations, in order to help update VDatum.
- Perform geospatial analyses to assess the need for additional data collection to improve model inputs.
- Using standardized protocols, compute oceanographic products (e.g. tidal and geodetic datums) from water level data and provide tidal and geodetic datums and tidal bench mark elevations to support marine boundary delineation and coastal engineering.
- In a database environment, identify and resolve deficiencies in water level datasets and metadata required to produce oceanographic products.
- Assist with the revision of standard operating procedures used to analyze oceanographic data and generate products.
- Assist with the development of presentations, technical reports, and peer-reviewed publications in areas of expertise.
Qualifications and skills sought for this position:
- Master’s Degree in oceanography, geodesy, surveying engineering, physical science, geophysics, meteorology, or a closely related discipline, or a Bachelor’s Degree in one of these fields and two years of relevant experience. Knowledge of oceanographic principles, theories, and practices is highly desirable.
- A demonstrated ability to self-manage workload, collaborate well with others, and meet deadlines.
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail.
- Proficiency in using a desktop computer and MS Office Suite for analyzing and processing data and developing and editing documents.
- Strong technical writing skills.
- General database and query experience and familiarity with GIS are required; Matlab or Python skills are a plus.