I.M. Systems Group (www.imsg.com), a contractor to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in Silver Spring, MD, seeks an individual to serve as a full time Communications and Education Specialist to coordinate and promote the Marine Debris Program’s activities. This individual will work with the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Office of Response and Restoration’s (ORR - http://response.restoration.noaa.gov/) Marine Debris Division (MDD -http://marinedebris.noaa.gov/). The position will be located at the ORR headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
The candidate will serve as a Communications and Education Specialist for marine debris-related matters, supporting activities under the NOAA Marine Debris Division. This position will establish and coordinate a proactive communications strategy that builds awareness of the Marine Debris Program’s core capabilities and projects. Duties will also focus on program coordination and development through community engagement, creating outreach materials, reviewing reports and other outward-facing products, and developing web-based content. Domestic travel may be required.
- Develop and disseminate print and online outreach materials such as fact sheets, newsletters, posters, reports, and project summaries.
- Assist with maintenance of web platforms and strategically plan and develop content for the website and affiliated web products including blogs and social media tools.
- Support education initiatives by reviewing and sharing curricula, participating in classroom visits and outreach events, supporting regional education efforts, interacting with the NOAA Education Council, and other related duties as needed.
- Build and maintain relationships and effective communications within NOAA and with other government agencies, private groups and not-for-profit organizations to leverage information and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Provide clear and concise responses to information requested from NOAA, the Administration, Congress, external partners, and the public.
- Fulfill timely communications-related requests from the Marine Debris Division Chief.
- Present information about the Marine Debris Division at conferences and meetings, schools, and outreach events as needed.
- Work with field staff to identify and support local communications and education needs.
- Synthesize information and copy edit materials.
- Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree with 6 years’ experience in a communications/outreach capacity, formal or informal education experience preferred.
- Must be a US citizen.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Familiarity with a variety of communication strategies and methods such as developing written materials/briefings, press releases, website development, brochure development, layouts, etc.
- Experience translating scientific information for public consumption and copy editing documents.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of individuals and within teams.
- Ability to work on multiple projects be responsive to deadlines, and shift priorities as needed.
- 1-2 writing samples are required. Please send samples to Ginger Hammonds at hammondsg [at] imsg.com.