Job Description: The American Sportfishing Association (ASA), the trade association for the sportfishing industry, seeks applicants for a new position to lead fisheries-related government affairs activities, primarily focused on freshwater fisheries. The Fisheries Policy Director will work integrally with ASA government affairs staff, state legislative personnel, resource management agencies, fisheries conservation organizations, businesses and other stakeholders to further ASA goals and objectives.
• Work with ASA’s government affairs team and various organizations to identify and prioritize local, state and regional legislative and policy issues affecting freshwater fisheries conservation and access, and fishing participation.
• Monitor, provide analysis of, and engage in relevant state legislation and other related regulatory issues.
• Represent the recreational fishing industry in discussions with state legislative personnel, resource management agencies, and conservation partners.
• Engage ASA members, partner organizations and grassroots in freshwater fisheries advocacy efforts.
• Support the industry’s coordinated efforts to improve angler recruitment, retention and reactivation (R3), including supporting state fish and wildlife agencies in any related legislative or policy needs.
• Work collaboratively with ASA’s marketing and communications team to develop effective messaging and identify appropriate channels to raise awareness of ASA’s freshwater fisheries policy positions, including through e-newsletters, news releases, website content, social media, video and print production, and marketing initiatives.
Requirements: Candidates must be self-starters with the ability to work independently on multiple tasks and be proficient with computers. Strong written and oral communication skills are required. Minimum of five years of experience in fisheries management and/or public policy required.
About ASA: ASA is the sportfishing industry's trade association, committed to representing the interests of the entire sportfishing community. ASA gives the industry a unified voice speaking out when emerging laws and policies could significantly affect sportfishing business or sportfishing itself. This position reports to the Vice President of Government Affairs. ASA offers a full benefits package including 401(k), vacation, and comprehensive medical/dental insurance. Salary is commensurate with experience and skills.
Please submit resume and cover letter with salary requirements via email to Mike Leonard at mleonard [at] asafishing.org.