The Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) is looking for a Fisheries Assessment Manager (FAM) to be based either at our London head office or our Seattle, WA office, and to report to a Senior Fisheries Assessment Manager.
As one of a small team of FAMs, you will oversee a portfolio of fisheries that are under third party assessment by external Conformity Assessment Bodies (CABs). You will also have organizational responsibility for developing and implementing key elements of the MSC’s Fisheries Standard and assessment processes.
- have an undergraduate degree, or equivalent experience, in marine ecology, fisheries science and/or management or another related subject; a post-graduate degree in a field relevant to fisheries or marine conservation management is highly desirable
- have an excellent knowledge of current research into marine ecosystem dynamics (e.g. structure and function, productivity and resilience, trophic interactions) and/or ecosystem modelling
- have good knowledge of measures and strategies to mitigate bycatch, unwanted catch and/or ecosystems impacts have knowledge or experience of third party certification schemes, including the MSC programme
- have experience working with stakeholders and other external parties, preferably in fisheries management, science or fisheries policy development settings on a range of fisheries and resource sustainability issues
- be organised, with well-developed analytical and systematic problem-solving skills, demonstrating sound reasoning abilities and logical decision-making