Are you passionate about conservation and sustainable resource management? Do you enjoy working on innovative, cutting-edge projects? Do you possess the ability to address high-level strategic questions with leaders in government, business, philanthropic, and nonprofit sectors? Are you exceptionally organized and can manage several projects in an agile work environment? Are you someone with diverse talents and a can-do attitude who wants to develop clients and projects and help a team grow as a leader in its field? If you are looking for an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic work environment with global ambitions and a desire to save the planet, we are looking for you!
About the Organization Eastern Research Group, Inc. (ERG), founded in 1984 and headquartered in the Boston area, has helped its clients protect the environment, improve worker health and safety, ensure the safety of food and drugs, and develop and implement strategies for sustainability. Blue Earth Consultants, a Division of ERG, founded in 2005 and merged with ERG at the end of 2016, is a management consulting firm, with a portfolio of more than 165 projects completed for clients internationally and in the U.S. We are a division with less than 10 people, but function as part of the larger company with 400+ employees. Blue Earth Consultants, a Division of ERG, specializes in developing sustainable solutions for complex, multi-faceted white water to blue water ecosystems and issues. We work with leaders in the nonprofit, philanthropic, academic, business, and government sectors to help improve resource management and sustainable practices around the world. Our team engages in strategic planning and institutional design, funding and financing framework design, monitoring and evaluation, partnership engagement and development, research and analysis, and the implementation of sustainable management measures. We provide clients with innovative and practical tools and strategies to enhance resource management, sustainable practices, and environmental and social resiliency. We assist in the creation of institutions, programs, and projects that realize significant returns for the environment and social welfare. Our team prides itself on tailoring each project to our clients’ needs and delivering the highest quality, solutions-oriented products in a timely, strategic, and professional manner. The team has extensive expertise in designing solutions for clients working to improve California and the U.S. West Coast’s coastal and ocean health, as well as significant international experience South Asia and the Pacific, and Mexico and the Wider Caribbean. For more information, please visit www.blueearthconsultants.com.
We are now seeking an individual with strong expertise in our core services areas to help us expand our ability to respond to opportunities, serve more clients, and increase our reach in providing innovative and sophisticated environmental and social solutions.
The ideal candidate has outstanding leadership and business development skills and the desire to help grow our team. He/She flourishes in a collaborative, solutions-oriented, and nimble working environment and thrives in a position with wide variety in clients, projects, and job responsibilities.
Primary Responsibilities The main duties of the Director include, but are not limited to:
- Growing and managing a practice and team in Blue Earth’s core service areas
- Developing and achieving financial and business development targets
- Cultivating new business and project opportunities
- Developing and implementing of winning proposal strategies
- Performing service area oversight (including scoping and budgeting)
- Performing project and team oversight within service area as required for successful completion of each project
- Performing QA/QC to ensure that the quality of deliverable is of the consistently high standard necessary to obtain and maintaining Blue Earth Consultants’ recognition as a company division of choice
- Performing research and writing for client deliverables
- Presenting project findings and/or performing technical facilitation to various stakeholder groups, both informally and formally
Staff Development and Management
- Managing and developing junior- and mid-level staff
- Demonstrating company division leadership and upholding Blue Earth Consultants’ core values
Qualifications Skills and Attributes:
- Expertise in organizational effectiveness for environmental organizations
- Experience leading teams to deliver consulting engagements related to monitoring, evaluation and learning, strategic and business planning, designing and implementing innovative natural resource solutions (e.g. policy, market-based etc.), facilitation, sustainable financing, and governance
- Experience developing and managing a service area and team
- Exceptional project management and organizational capabilities
- Proficiency at managing multiple projects with tight and often competing deadlines
- Possession of a methodical, analytical, strategic, diligent, and creative approach to problem solving and decision making
- Ability to produce products in a timely fashion through collaborative processes and to work effectively with diverse partners from public and private institutions
- Ability to distill critical information from diverse and detailed sources across disciplines and translate that information between technical experts and non-technical audiences
- Strong personal commitment to realizing the mission and adhering to the values of Blue Earth Consultants
- Unshakeable ability to maintain neutrality and objectivity for clients and stakeholder projects, and in the interest of facilitating the meeting of minds with divergent motivations
- Unwavering commitment to strong personal and business ethics
- High sense of professionalism, maturity, and discretion as appropriate to the nature and sensitivity of our clients and projects
- Ability to manage sensitive and proprietary information with discretion and confidentiality
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
Knowledge and Experience:
- Interdisciplinary training in natural and social science, resource conservation and management, communications, and/or policy.
- PhD with at least 10 years relevant experience or masters’ degree or MBA with at least 15 years relevant experience
- Solid understanding of marine and terrestrial natural resource issues and solutions
- Extensive experience with strategic planning, applied research, monitoring and evaluation, and integrating data into decision-making about complex environmental issues; an understanding of the challenges in achieving this integration
- Command of social science concepts, and the application of social science to achieve ecosystem management and/or resource conservation objectives
- Ability and practice in synthesizing and translating data and information to provide scientific frameworks for practicable solutions to sensitive issues
- Experience managing programs, contractors, and facilitating groups
- Experience with obtaining funding
- Experience balancing and delivering on multiple projects at one time
- Excellent skills working with Microsoft Office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word)
- Consulting experience a strong plus
- Spanish and/or French a strong plus for our overseas projects
Location: The position is based in the Blue Earth Consultants offices near Jack London Square in Oakland, California or possible East Coast office. Some travel within California, elsewhere in the U.S., and abroad will be required.
- Compensation: DOE
- Principals only. Recruiters, please do not contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
- Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.