Open Knowledge International
Open Knowledge International (OKI) is a global non-profit organisation focused on realising open data’s value to society by helping civil society groups access and use data to take action on social problems.
The wide range of projects we work on all aim to give people access to data, the knowledge to understand it, and the power to use it in our everyday lives.
Open Knowledge International are seeking a part time Product Manager to join our Product Team on the “Frictionless Data for Reproducible Research” project.
Frictionless Data is an initiative at OKI producing a collection of specifications and software for the publication, transport, and consumption of data. The work has wide and growing adoption across the data science and civic tech domains. Frictionless Data for Reproducible Research is a second phase project with funding from the Sloan Foundation to support OKI in applying Frictionless Data specifications and software to reproducible research across a range of scientific disciplines.
What you will do
As Product Manager, you will be responsible for designing our approach to working with research communities and other partners producing solutions for data-driven reproducible research. This work will largely occur via a series of pilots with researchers, and the development of workshops and training curriculums for data-driven research. You will be working with a suite of products and services developed over the last 5 years, contribute to their enhancement, and design new offerings as relevant to our research user base.
The position is remote, with flexibility in time and availability, both over a given week and over the course of engagement, dependent on the piloting and workshop schedule. The contract for the position is expected to apply for a period of around 2 years.
Some travel will be required, often with other team members, to relevant conferences to deliver talks and workshops, and also to work on-premise with pilot partners.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills:
- Knowledge of and experience in data-driven reproducible research
- Strong problem definition and solution analysis skills to enable working with technology and applying it to research problems
- Experience with product development (technical or non-technical)
- Excellent written English and experience writing for technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience with public engagements and presenting work at conferences
- Ability to work in highly collaborative teams in remote working environments
- Knowledge of open access, and open science
- Ability to work closely with the Project Manager on timelines and scoping of work
- Experience with agile work methodologies is a bonus
Open Knowledge International are a 100% virtual team, based all over the world, so experience or strong understanding of what is required working in highly transparent, remote teams is a distinct advantage.
Travel : Some travel to international and/or domestic locations will be required.
Closing date: This role will remain open until filled.