The Plastics Campaign Director will lead a multidisciplinary team to plan, develop, implement and win Oceana’s plastics campaign. The Director will lead Oceana’s campaign to significantly reduce the use of single-use plastics, that result in harmful pollution of our oceans, focusing primarily on reductions in single-use plastics at the source. Strong campaign skills, including in campaign development, leadership, and strategic thinking are essential to the success of the campaign. The campaign director will report to the Chief Policy Officer, North America.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead in the development and implementation of campaign strategies and tactics
- Lead the development of annual and long-term campaign goals
- Lead and manage a team of professionals, and manage consultants to achieve campaign goals
- Develop and run a corporate campaign, including advocacy, communications, outreach and legal strategies to achieve goals
- Develop campaign messages, approaches and materials
- Establish and maintain Oceana leadership on plastics
- Serve as spokesperson for the campaign to the press and other external audiences
- Manage outside relationships with partners, vendors, supporters, and decision-makers
- Manage the research and writing of reports, papers, and other materials
- Maintain a working knowledge of science and policy practices related to plastics
- Develop and manage a campaign budget
- Assist in fundraising for the campaign
- Take on other responsibilities as appropriate and necessary to achieve campaign objectives
- Seven (7) years of related professional experience including at least three (3) years managing staff and teams.
- Some experience with pollution reduction campaigns, or specific knowledge of the plastics problem, including the science around plastics and some understanding of the solutions.
- Must have exceptional management skills with proven ability to lead a professional staff and ability to work effectively both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience completing projects under tight deadlines and effectively managing a demanding work load.
- Ability to work on and manage multiple projects in parallel.
- Capability to effectively lead a campaign team.
- Desire and ability to advocate for complex, aggressive conservation positions in both small and large settings.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills, and a keen analytical ability.
- Strong writing and communications skills
- Some travel is required
- Graduate or law degree in a related field including political science, a natural science, engineering, or business,
- Fluency in Spanish, or other second language a plus.
TO APPLY: PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR COVER LETTER TO YOUR RESUME.