The Fisheries Scientist will play a substantive role on Oceana Philippines’ team working to secure improvements in fisheries management and marine conservation. He or she will research key issues and prepare reports, serve as a subject matter expert for our campaigns, as well as lead or assist in various policy initiatives. The Fisheries Scientist will have extensive contact with research scientists and representatives of government agencies and other stakeholders.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out research on Oceana’s campaign topics and other subjects relevant to Oceana’s objectives, including the review of fisheries science and management research. Review technical working group and regulatory documents for scientific content and report on relevance to campaign goals and strategies.
- Research, draft and/or review content for Oceana scientific reports and other external communications, with particular attention to scientific accuracy.
- Maintain subject matter expertise in relevant marine conservation topics, especially marine fisheries science and management, by following the current literature, attending relevant meetings, and communicating with peers in the field. Maintain a wide network of fisheries scientists and related experts.
- Develop contracts with and oversee the work of scientific consultants.
- Establish and nurture institutional relationships, represent Oceana in external meetings with scientists, industry and community representatives, resource managers, government agencies, and other nongovernmental organizations
- Organize and participate in staff trainings and campaign planning. Facilitate and ensure the flow of information and documentation necessary for operational efficacy.
- Assist in preparation of internal reports for the Board of Directors and foundations.
- Maintain secrecy and confidentiality when working with sensitive information.
- Assist the Vice President of Oceana Philippines in matters pertaining to these functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and work experience:
- Master’s degree in a relevant scientific discipline such as marine biology, ecology, oceanography, fisheries and wildlife conservation and biology, natural resource management.
- At least ten years of professional experience in fisheries science and/or policy.
Skills and knowledge:
- Ability to accurately synthesize large amounts of information, quickly identify relevant issues or questions, and recommend responses or solutions.
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills. Ability to communicate technical concepts clearly and concisely.
- Skilled at organizing and prioritizing multiple projects, and completing tasks with accuracy and independence.
- Knowledge of the scientific underpinning of the major marine conservation issues, especially marine fisheries science and management.
- Ability to represent Oceana in a professional and courteous manner with scientists, policymakers, stakeholders and the media.
- Ability to accommodate a varied workload in a fast-paced campaign environment. Flexible and collaborative member of a multidisciplinary team. Occasional irregular hours and travel will be required.
To Apply: Please submit your resume and cover letter to applicants-philippines [at] oceana.org ()
Please ensure that they are sent with the titles “Your name cover letter” and “Your name CV”. Please put “Fisheries Scientist” in the email subject line.