Division of Marine Science and Conservation Nicholas School of the Environment Location: Beaufort, NC.
Full time job - 40 hours per week
The Assistant to the Director will manage communication and outreach activities for the Duke University Marine Laboratory, in conjunction with the Nicholas School of the Environment’s Communications Department, to include internal and external communications, website content, marine lab newsletter, events, scheduling and special projects while providing administrative support for the Duke University Marine Lab Directors. The successful candidate will work with faculty, staff and students and will report to the Director of the Duke University Marine Laboratory. Position will work to increase the profile of the Duke University Marine Laboratory within the local community, Duke and beyond.
Event Planning / Scheduling / Outreach – 45%
- Coordinate arrangements for special programs such as speaker series, Employee Appreciation events, BOV Meetings, Open Houses, etc. to include inviting appropriate speakers or other participants, arranging schedules, facilities and publicity while managing the program budget, ~$20k annually
- Maintain complex calendar for the Duke Marine Lab Campus and Duke Marine Lab Director to include coordination and communication of academic, social and community events.
- Assist director in raising profile of Marine Lab within Duke University and in the community through program development and public relations. (new to position)
- Coordinate alumni, donors and university leadership visits with ODAR and other Duke units as needed.
Communications – 35%
- Receive and answer incoming communications with poise and discretion and maintain confidentiality as needed
- Provide consultation in the development, review and distribution of internal and external communications
- Serve as departmental liaison with NSOE Communications team for website content, including updating and original content, integrated connections to multimedia and social networking opportunities
- Consult with Marine Lab faculty and staff to obtain information (photography, videography, information, etc.) on teaching and research activities for distribution to website and social media outlets
- Develop Marine Lab Newsletter, including writing articles, performing layout duties, interacting closely with directors to ensure adequate coverage of human interest stories, operational and organization plans, philanthropic opportunities, etc.
- Prepare brochures, bulletins and other publications to describe programs, academic goals and events
- Work with NSOE Communications team on ML brand consistency in all communications
- Assist NSOE Communications in cross promotion by providing ML updates and sharing social media posts
- Develop Duke Marine Lab Alumni student web pages to include graduate and undergraduate student career tracking as well as an undergraduate alumni network
- Serve as back-up for marine lab emergency response communications
- Conduct Duke Marine Lab tours for a wide range of audience to include students, alumni, community partners and visitors
Development, Alumni Relations and Student Philanthropy – 15%
- In close coordination and partnership with the NSOE Office of Development and Alumni Relations (ODAR), be responsible for facilitating and supporting collaborative work plans to achieve NSOE-related Marine Lab development and alumni relations priorities. Meet quarterly with the Associate Dean of ODAR to evaluate progress and or adjust priorities.
- Serve as the designated liaison for ODAR for development activities at the Marine Lab.
- Assist NSOE and Duke development officers by serving as a “on the ground” relationship manager to help further cultivation and stewardship efforts of alumni and donors in the marine lab community
- Serve as a resource consultant to DUML faculty and staff regarding all development and alumni activities.
- Working closely with ODAR, identify DUML faculty opportunities to visit and update Nicholas School donors and alumni when traveling for Duke related business.
- Assist in the coordination and delivery of DUML focused communications and marketing content for use in NSOE and Duke development and alumni relations newsletters, Annual Fund solicitations and related communications efforts.
- Create a positive culture for future philanthropic support from students attending the DUML and student clubs organized at the DUML.
- Working with DUML Director, Business office and ODAR review and administer donation/gifts that are mailed to DUML.
Office Administration – 5%
- Process and reconcile p-card receipts for the Director
- Receive shipping and mail as it arrives; manage FedEx and UPS account