We are looking for our newest team member who will bring their talents and expertise to create new programs and drive communication activities that spotlight the organization’s mission and impact to grow our public profile. The individual in this role will be responsible for developing communication strategies and campaigns, including identifying and capitalizing on storytelling opportunities across a range of audiences. This role requires an organized, hands-on team player who instinctively works in a collaborative manner, has the judgement to prioritize busy days and competing demands, and will speak up with sound communication counsel. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record as a writer, editor, and media relations manager, with expertise in developing and executing communication strategies that deliver tangible results.
The Communications Project Manager works closely with the CEO and Advancement Director, as well as across the organization’s Business Engagement, Social Responsibility, Traceability, and Data Divisions.
This position reports to the Advancement Director.
- Under the direction of the Advancement Director, CEO, and staff, develop, execute, and track the impact of a proactive communication strategy to support long-term and project-based organization initiatives, NGO and business partnerships, and fund development
- Bring knowledge of the media and influencer landscape as it relates to organizational mission; resource current contacts and develop new relationships with journalists and other media influencers
- Develop, edit, and produce content to engage and build relationships with audiences across various channels, including publications, newsletters, blogs, and social media
- Coordinate the production and distribution of professional print/online materials to fulfill partnership reporting commitments, tell the FishWise story, and advance our mission
- Guide projects with graphic designer and other communication-related consultants
- Oversee the ongoing development and maintenance of FishWise website
- Liaise with a wide variety of stakeholders and successfully translate the organization’s goals into strategic, integrated communication strategies
- Serve as a resource to staff regarding communication best-practices, consistent branding, and cohesive narratives
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications or a related field
- A minimum of 2 years professional experience with increasing responsibility for design, implementation, and management of communication and/or marketing strategies
- Demonstrated ability to deliver targeted content that generates measurable ROI
- Ability to handle sensitive information and navigate controversial/divisive issues effectively and confidently
- Critical thinking skills and initiative to solve problems efficiently
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; must have credibility, good judgement, honesty, and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a team player and with flexibility in a rapidly changing environment
- Time management skills, with proven capacity for anticipating, prioritizing, and managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Expert computer and web application proficiency including macOS, G-Suite, Microsoft Office, WordPress and web/social publishing applications
- Experience with funder/donor or resource development activities a plus
- Experience with public relations and/or advocacy a plus
- Knowledge of storyboarding and utilizing video for marketing and outreach a plus
- Proficiency in Adobe CS applications (Acrobat, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) a plus
- Philanthropic mindset: willing to engage in fund development activities to support building the culture of philanthropy at FishWise
- Knowledge of the seafood industry and/or sustainable seafood landscape a plus
- Dedication and passion for the stewardship of the oceans a must!
Hours and Benefits
- This is a full-time position based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefits package
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Occasional evening and weekend work will be required
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required