We are seeking a Project Manager to advance social responsibility and protect human and labor rights within seafood supply chains. The Project Manager will be responsible for research, development, and execution of work plans on social responsibility, under the direction of the Social Responsibility Division Director. Work plan goals are threefold: 1) to create tools and recommendations that help the seafood industry improve supply chain traceability and reduce the risk that seafood products are associated with social responsibility abuses; 2) to facilitate discussions between key players to find novel solutions to social responsibility, labor, and social compliance challenges; and 3) to communicate progress and updates to a core group of NGOs, industry, and other stakeholders. The Project Manager will achieve these goals through collaboration with the seafood industry, government, academia, and NGOs.
Reporting: This position reports to the Social Responsibility Division Director.
- Assist in the communication of progress and next steps on FishWise social responsibility work plans to a variety of audiences and collaborators via email, conference calls, and webinars.
- Manage social responsibility improvements, tracking, and reporting for FishWise partners (including drafting and updating work plans, analyzing data, and writing summaries for partner reporting).
- Work with global experts to create novel social responsibility solutions for the seafood industry.
- Research and draft white papers, toolkits, policy briefs, and other analyses, on social responsibility for the seafood industry.
- Organize logistics for conference calls, webinars, and in-person meetings; record and distribute minutes.
- Organize complex resources and guidance in business friendly briefing documents for internal and external use.
- Review technical documents (legislation, media stories, and reports) on social responsibility and summarize for target audiences.
- Become an expert over time on social responsibility legislation, challenges, and current approaches.
- Research fisheries and supply chains with social responsibility challenges; draft case studies and suggest ways to address the challenges.
- Attend and lead events for FishWise (conferences, meetings, webinars etc.).
- Conduct in-person meetings with industry stakeholders, as needed.
- Dedication and passion for the stewardship of the oceans and social responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience
- At minimum, a basic understanding of the global seafood traceability and social responsibility landscape, and a desire to become an expert in these topics over time
- Excellent Mac-computer skills including Microsoft Office & Adobe Suite preferred
- Excellent professional writing and editing skills
- Excellent verbal communication, public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to meet deadlines and to manage multiple simultaneous projects
- Experience working in a collaborative office or professional environment
- Self-starter, motivated, and able to work with limited oversight
- Experience breaking down large amounts of material into cohesive units that can be easily understood by target audiences (e.g. seafood businesses, NGOs, and government agencies)
- Familiarity with social responsibility issues, achieving social change, and corporate social responsibility preferred
Hours and Benefits
- This is a full-time position preferably based in the FishWise office in Santa Cruz, CA
- Remote positions also considered
- Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience
- Competitive benefit package
- Office hours: Monday – Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM
- Evening and weekend work will sometimes be required
- Occasional business travel and personal transportation is required