The Special Assistant to the CEO is responsible for direct executive support to the CEO. This includes managing the CEO’s demanding schedule, managing the day-to-day operations of the Portland, Oregon office, and undertaking special projects that require sound judgment, initiative, and confidentiality.
Diplomacy, confidentiality and discretion are essential to this position and the Special Assistant is often exposed to highly sensitive issues. This position knows how to balance an informal internal work environment with the formality required when representing the Office of the CEO externally.
The Special Assistant is responsible for coordinating the day-to-day operations and workflow of the CEO, including:
- Judicious management of the CEO’s time in the office and offsite, including oversight of meetings, travel arrangements, and associated logistical details; ensures the CEO’s calendar is kept current and accurate.
- Coordination with Ocean Conservancy staff to ensure preparation, production, and distribution of background and briefing materials, binders, and itineraries related to meetings, presentations, conferences, and travel for the CEO.
- Serves as a key liaison to the broader senior leadership team and provides support to other organizational leaders as needed.
- Circulation of meeting notes and follow-up with program staff to shepherd timely completion of action items identified at meetings or otherwise specified by the CEO.
- Completion and submission of expense reports and reimbursement requests for the CEO and other Portland staff on a monthly basis.
- Facilitation of timely and efficient information flow from senior leaders to the CEO, including compilation of weekly progress updates, monthly updates to the Board of Directors, and ongoing budgeting and planning information.
- Proactive management of all correspondence from the CEO’s office in keeping with the high standards of the CEO and the organization; ensures appropriate routing, tracking, filing, and handling of confidential materials; manages the CEO’s database of contact information.
- Fields telephone calls directed to the Executive Office and routes to appropriate contacts throughout the organization.
- Monitoring deadlines for the CEO and providing appropriate reminders.
- Provide budget inputs and assists in monitoring Portland office and executive office budgets.
- On-going organization and coordination of Ocean Conservancy’s Portland office operations, including monitoring of office expenses, providing IT assistance during videoconferencing, and identifying opportunities for improved organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- This position may also be required to support program directors and senior leadership in a variety of project management, research, and administrative needs.
- Five years of experience in support of an Executive leader in an operations, advocacy, or policy role with an emphasis on project and fiduciary management.
- Superb organizational and project management skills; strong desire to ensure operations run smoothly; attentive to details; and, conscientious in adhering to deadlines and deliverables.
- Passion for providing high-level administrative and organizational support in service to the organization’s goals.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to write and edit well.
- Highly discrete and able to be trusted with confidential information relating to the organization and its staff.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to new software and technologies.
- Proven ability as a high level performer to multitask, work independently, and handle a fast-paced work environment in good humor.
- Demonstrates, initiative, creativity, discipline, and commitment.
- Able to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as needed.
- Associate’s degree required; Bachelor’s degree preferred
To be considered for this position, interested candidates may submit a resume and cover letter to strask [at] oceanconservancy.org (.) Please note position title and #19-06 in the subject line.