The CMCC (Euro-Mediterranean Center on Climate Change) in Bologna, Italy is taking into consideration the possibility to hire talented, motivated and proactive researcher to cover one open position for an ocean model developer.
About CMCC CMCC is a non-profit research institution with the aim to investigate and model the climate system and its interactions with society and the environment. Its OPA division deals with the development of models and methods for interdisciplinary research on marine operational forecasting, on the development of services and applications for all maritime economy sectors, including transport. OPA contributes to the European service Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service CMEMS (http://marine.copernicus.eu) with operational model forecasting and reanalysis products for both the Mediterranean (http://medfs.cmcc.it) and the Black Sea (http://bsfs.cmcc.it).
Your role and duties We invite applications for a research associate (i.e., technical career at CMCC) expert in ocean modeling. We are seeking highly motivated and talented researchers to support the OPA division modeling activities focused on the improvement of the CMEMS Med-MFC physical operational system and on the development of NEMO (Nucleus for European Modelling of the Ocean) general circulation ocean model. The selected candidate will work as an integrative part of a multidisciplinary team within the division and with external partners. He/she will work in a collaborative environment, which may imply frequent attendance to group/project meetings. The position will take on a pivotal role within the ocean modelling team in implementing, developing and testing numerical models, designing and executing model experiments for a wave-current coupled modelling system of the Mediterranean Sea. The duties will also include processing and interpreting simulation-based and observational data sets.
Your qualification and experience It is required to hold following qualification:
- M.Sc. degree (or equivalent working experience) in Oceanography, Computer Science, Engineering or other scientific disciplines (e.g physics, mathematics)
- good experience using numerical ocean and/or wave models (preferably NEMO, WW3)
- good knowledge of programming languages (preferably Fortran and Python) •
- knowledge of UNIX/Linux operating systems and script languages (e.g. *nix shell)
- knowledge of parallel programming on HPC architectures
- fluency in English
Furthermore, it is welcome that you have as much as possible of the following experience:
- knowledge of ocean-wave coupled numerical models
- knowledge of air-sea interaction, tidal, and ocean mixing processes
- knowledge of version control systems (i.e., git, svn)
- knowledge of workflow management platforms
- experience in managing/manipulating NetCDF data 5.
Other information Belonging to a legally protected category (cf. Italian law 68/1999) will constitute a preferential condition. The initial appointment is for 24 months, starting as soon as possible and with the possibility to be renewed. The location for this job is the CMCC OPA office in Viale Berti Pichat, Bologna (Italy). The position is under the sponsorship of the project Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service (CMEMS) Mediterranean Sea Monitoring and Forecasting Centre (Med-MFC) Phase 2. The annual salary will be ranged 24-32 kEUR for a junior research associate and 32-40kEUR for a senior research associate.
More information here:https://www.cmcc.it/it/jobs/8896-ocean-model-developer-research-associate