The Surfrider Foundation seeks to hire a graduate student to compile a substantive report about the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). The LWCF is one of our country’s most important conservation program which has maintained broad bipartisan support over its 50-year history of successful, locally-driven conservation. While the LWCF was reauthorized in March 2019, it now needs permanent funding. This report will help educate the public and elected officials about the importance of permanently funding the LWCF.
The job is a contract position that will work under the direction of the Surfrider’s Environmental Director and Coastal Preservation Manager.
Provide research and writing support for Surfrider’s national report on the Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF). Analyze LWCF benefits state by state detailing how the program has established and protected many coastal playgrounds, including parks, surf breaks, and other coastal resources. Synthesize how LWCF program currently improves coastal resiliency. Illustrate the importance of fully funding the LWCF because, as the climate continues to change, more investments will be needed to help protect our coastal communities and resources.
- Timeline: The report will be finished mid-December 2019.
- Geographic scope: The report will have a national focus; yet there will have a deeper dive into surf spots in California that have been protected by the LWCF.
- Audience: Congress, the media, and general public.
- The report will have the same look and feel as other Surfrider Foundation reports including the State of the Beach Reportand the Clean Water Report.
- The report will be widely distributed through Surfrider’s website, email lists, and social media platforms.
- Knowledge of local, state, and national coastal and ocean policy.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to meet strict deadlines.
- Currently enrolled in a graduate program focused on marine policy or environmental management.
Start Time: September 2019 Duration: Flexible, with report finished by Dec 5th2019. Contract Pay: $6,000 Location: Work remotely.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to: Stefanie Sekich-Quinn at ssekich [at] surfrider.org. Please include “LWCF Position” in the email subject line. The application deadline is September 15th2019.