SUMMARY: This is a management position for shellfish nursey operations at Clam Fresh Enterprises. The manager occupying this position is responsible for oversight of land base shellfish nursery, flupsy, algae grow operation, supervision of nursery staff, monitoring nursery systems, reporting to operations manager, communication with larvae vendors. Employee must be available during weekends when needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned as necessary.
- Directing of staff on algae production, nursery production, flupsy production/weekly goals
- Ensure that SOP’s are being met by nursery staff
- Assist in areas of operation where help is needed
- Communicate with nursery biologist on daily/ weekly goals to ensure that quality control is being met
- Process purchase request for equipment needed by staff
- Daily/weekly checks of equipment and system performance parameters
- Update/inspect maintenance log books
- Ensure that SOP’s are being met by technicians
- Research, design, and install new systems
- Identify and troubleshoot problem areas. repair if possible
- Respond to emergencies involving nursery systems and direct response team
- Communicate with maintenance manager/farm manager on all projects and repairs needed
- Prepare product inventory for review by farm manager and management team
- Prepare reports, proposals, and data review when requested by farm manager
- Communicate staff issues or incidences
- Communicate production goals and plans to management team
- Respond to task assigned by farm manager
- Communication with vendors involved with larvae and seed supply
- Communicate with vendors involved with nursery equipment
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Nursery manager is responsible for supervising nursery biologist, nursery technicians, algae technicians, and flupsy technicians.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to participate as a team member, communicate with management and coworkers, strive to continuously build knowledge and skills of all shellfish nursery techniques, respond promptly to the needs of the company, and meet commitments and deadlines. It is crucial to have a good knowledge of coworker’s schedules so work is efficiently done as a team, with a positive spirit. Also necessary is the ability to apply common sense to carry out written and oral instructions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Minimum 3 years’ experience in shellfish hatchery, nursery, or other aquaculture systems with 1 year in a management or supervisory capacity. Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Marine Biology, or relevant field is highly desired.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to management and coworkers.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee may frequently be required to lift up to 50 pounds. Proper lifting techniques and back supports should be used when working with heavy materials. In addition the use of safety gear is required for all pertinent jobs. There will typically be other coworkers that can assist with jobs that require substantial lifting, etc.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work area is usually moderate.
DRUG FREE WORKPLACE: The successful candidate will be required to have a urinalysis for drug and alcohol screening in accordance with the Tribe’s Drug Free Workplace Policy.
INDIAN PREFERENCE: The successful candidate will be required to follow the Squaxin Island Tribe’s drug policies.