Location: WEST PALM BEACH, FL (U.S. and international travel may be required)
Duration: Part-time (10 or 20 hrs/week including occasional evenings and weekends); starting February 2020; 3-month or 6-month term maximum.
Stipend: Monthly stipend dependent on weekly hours; Foundation is also willing to work with intern to secure university course credit as appropriate.
About the Position: ANGARI Foundation works to promote scientists and their ongoing research, while increasing public engagement in science via sharing of science expeditions at sea with K-college classrooms and the public. These goals are primarily achieved through print, online and TV media, livestream, public outreach events, citizen science initiatives, classroom visits and virtual reality film. The Foundation is seeking an intern who will take an active role in communicating the work of the scientists who come aboard our research vessel through traditional media and social media platforms. The intern will also help organize and participate in outreach events on behalf of the Foundation. The intern may also have an opportunity to assist with science education, including developing educational materials in conjunction with expeditions, partner scientists’ research and educational 360/VR films.
- Participate in citizen science, education and outreach events
- Foster engagement through social media conversations (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, Blog)
- Assist with planning social media content one week in advance
- Assist with development of print and online marketing materials
- Capture onboard photo and video content during the Coastal Ocean Explorers program
- Assist with media file organization as well as photo and video editing
- Foster relationships between the Foundation and its science and community partners
- Assist with developing and executing education programs, including classroom visits.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- College student or graduate
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- A positive, can-do attitude with ability to both self-motivate and take initiative
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Experience working with computers, software and social media platforms
- Ability to work well with both youth and adults
- Ability to work in team and individual settings
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of marine and/or environmental science
- Formal and/or informal education and mentoring experience
- Experience in scientific writing and/or presentation
- Experience with marine science fieldwork
- Experience with photo and video editing
- Experience with WordPress and HTML
Additional Information and How to Apply: Internship may require travel and working some evenings and weekends. While most of the travel will be within the United States, international travel is possible; therefore, applicant must have a current U.S. Passport. With the Foundation functioning throughout South Florida, the applicant should have a driver’s license and access to a vehicle capable of such travel.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, copy of transcripts (unofficial accepted) and list of 3 references with contact info to info [at] angari.org. Spring deadline: October 31, 2019.