Oceana is an international organization that focuses solely on oceans and is dedicated to achieving measurable change by conducting scientific, fact-based campaigns with fixed deadlines and articulated goals. The Plastics Campaign Science Intern will assist efforts to meet the goals of the campaign. The Intern will chiefly focus on researching science issues around plastic and its effects on marine organisms and humans, cataloguing this research and drafting materials to support the execution of the campaign.
The Intern will work with Oceana staff to help build the scientific basis of the campaign. This work may involve interaction with academic, governmental and non-governmental scientists, researchers, organizers, conservation partners and stakeholders. Other duties include assisting with logistics and supporting other Oceana staff as needed. The Intern will report to the Senior Scientist for the Plastics Campaign and work closely with other staff on the campaign. The Intern will have opportunities to interact with other Oceana staff and learn conservation principles.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
· Investigate plastic issues including interactions of plastic with marine organisms, strategies to reduce single use plastic and health risks of plastic.
· Review primary and secondary literature on plastic and enter in reference database.
· Assist with drafting and fact-checking campaign materials, such as fact sheets, sign-on letters, reports and web content for non-scientific audiences.
· Interview experts on marine animal stranding and document findings.
Education and work experience:
- Master’s degree in marine science, conservation science, marine policy or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some familiarity with marine stranding networks preferred.
- Mapping and visual presenting data a plus.
- Experience completing projects under tight deadlines while effectively managing a demanding workload, multi-tasking and taking on new projects.
Skills and knowledge:
· Excellent research, writing, organization and communication skills with attention to detail and accuracy.
· Adept at data analysis, report writing and presenting findings.
· Demonstrated skill in data entry, analysis and statistics in Microsoft Excel.
- Some experience with Zotero or other bibliographic software helpful.
· Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
TO APPLY: Candidates should submit a resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Please be aware that your cover letter is viewed as a writing sample and highlight why your experience is a good fit for this position. Please also include the dates you are available.
"Oceana values a diverse workforce and welcomes people different from each other in many ways, including characteristics such as race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, and national origin. Oceana considers all qualified candidates and seeks to recruit from a diverse candidate pool."