The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) is seeking an individual to assist with hatchery duties at the Blackwater Fish Hatchery and assist the Northwest Region Freshwater Fisheries Management Project with management duties on six Fish Management Area lakes located in the western Florida Panhandle.. The incumbent will assist with intensive on-site hatchery operations and routine lake management and maintenance activities, and should possess the ability to complete tasks unsupervised and on time.
Commission Managed Impoundments:
- Maintain six commission managed impoundments (CMI), which includes mowing of dams and fishing areas and fertilization and liming of the waterbody.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of kiosks.
- Responsible for pier maintenance e.g. light carpentry to replace planks and rails, as needed.
- Assist with broodfish collections and field sampling, as needed.
- Monitor dissolved oxygen levels and water quality parameters on production ponds during peak production season (Feb – Sept), especially on weekends.
- Monitor indoor recirculating and raceway systems holding broodfish.
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of facility grounds and equipment.
- Assist with fish culture activities e.g. monitor incubation and hatching of eggs, hatching battery operation, handling of brood fish, boxing and shipping fry, stocking and harvest of fish, etc.
- Assist with routine fish culture duties e.g. feeding, pond fertilization and vegetation control, fish harvest and stocking.
- Assist with grounds and pond maintenance at the hatchery.
- Full-time, annual position, working 30-40 hours per week, including most weekends during peak hatchery production season (February – September);
- Occasional evening shifts required;
- Equipment and vehicles will be provided by FWC;
- Optional health insurance and retirement available
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver’s license;
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent;
- Experience with the operation and use of tractors, riding mowers, trimmers, 4WD vehicles and boats;
- Experience with trailering equipment;
- Light carpentry, basic plumbing and electrical skills