Lynker is hiring Communications and Outreach Specialist to support the National Marine Fisheries Service mission in either Highlands, NJ or Milford, CT.
The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC), The Ecosystems and Aquaculture Division supports research themes including ecosystem processes and environmental conditions for production of harvestable algae, invertebrates and vertebrates; the processes linking spatial and temporal patterns in climate with regional and local responses of species and their habitats; and the positive and negative influences of human activities on ecosystem function and services. This is accomplished by the coordination and design of field surveys and laboratory investigations conducted by five research branches with staff across the Northeast. Better understanding of these processes enables the Division to develop technologies and recommendations to promote the growth of a highly productive aquaculture industry, to support assessment and management of protected and
harvested species, and more generally to support the development of Ecosystem-Based Fisheries Management in the Northeast Region.
- Design and maintain the Howard Lab website in conjunction with the Research Communications branch.
- Write text for Howard Lab and Ecosystem and Aquaculture Division websites, press releases, news articles for internal and external outlets.
- Updates to Howard Lab and EAD websites, within one week, when updates are requested.
- Coordinate with the research communications branch, Office of Aquaculture and Ocean Acidification Program to develop outreach materials for research conducted at the Howard Lab and Ecosystems and Aquaculture Division (EAD).
- Coordinate with external partners to disseminate research information from the Howard Lab and Ecosystems and Aquaculture Division.
- Attend scientific and educational conferences to present research material and network on current and future projects.
- Initiate new opportunities for outreach and inreach.
- Works with Howard lab community stakeholders to plan, organize, implement and evaluate community engagement and outreach activities
- Performs community level engagement and outreach needs assessment.
- Researches, identifies and utilizes evidence-based educational programs.
- Writes, designs, and manages the production and distribution of visually appealing, culturally and literacy appropriate educational programs (i.e. content for brochures, e-newsletters, program development, event materials, info graphics), media press releases, and other communications/marketing materials.
- Participates in phone, electronic, and in-person communications and meetings with outreach- relevant partner contacts, subject matter experts, and professionals to support the development and improvement of programs.
- Serves as a liaison with potential partners, partners, and others with community outreach and engagement-related inquiries.
- Participates in preparation for, and attends community outreach and engagement-related meetings and events.
- Level 1: B.Sc. in biology, marine science, ecology environmental science, communications or related fields or 2 year of working experience directly related to the tasks outlined herein.
- Specific experience in communicating activities and accomplishments in marine biological, fisheries, or aquaculture industry or in research.
- Website development and management, experience with Drupel preferred
- Experience with Public speaking, and to scientific and general public audiences
- Communications of research activities and accomplishments in popular outlets such as newspapers, social media, videos, etc.
- Educational background includes biological sciences.
- Communicating activities and accomplishments in the aquaculture industry or in research
- Skills/certifications and credentials:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Creative, self-motivated, and able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Proficient in using MS Word, MS Excel, MS Power Point.