Scoot Science is building a virtual window into the ocean by predicting the underwater weather. We give our ocean-based customers a critical edge for operations, risk management, and planning by using the best available oceanographic data and science.
If you’re an ocean lover and a science nerd, a person focused on healthy ways humans can interact with the environment, and excited about the intersection of technology, data and decision making…let’s talk.
What You’ll Do
As a data engineer at Scoot, you’ll need to first and foremost be a generalist working within a small team of experienced people. In this position, though, you’ll have broad responsibility for our internal data management, infrastructure, and flow. You’ll be helping build our data infrastructure from the ground up, and you’ll make it possible for our data scientists to have the best quality, most current, and most extensive oceanographic data available. You’ll have a great deal of freedom and responsibility to design and implement our infrastructure. Among other things, you will:
- Design, build, and maintain a data warehouse
- Construct and/or expand a workflow orchestrator system (like Airflow)
- Implement regular fetching of varied external data sources
- Build ETL processes for oceanographic and other datasets
- Support analysis environments for Scoot’s data science team
- Collaboratively implement and tune our internal development, testing, and project management practices
- Constantly research new technologies and advocate for good, new solutions
What we are looking for
We are hiring a responsible and motivated Data Engineer, with excellent software and engineering skills, to contribute to and influence our early-stage product development. Our team is distributed, and remote work is not just an option, it’s our way.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who loves the ocean, and who loves applying the best ocean science to real-world problems faced by ocean operators. At Scoot Science, we’re doing are part to make sure our oceans are used responsibly and sustainably.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, or you might have a degree in another field with additional studies in data science or software infrastructure engineering.
- Extensive hands-on work experience developing and operating data infrastructures
- Creativity, ability to solve complex problems without a roadmap
- Proven experience working across all levels of the data stack
- Curiosity and will to help design our best-fitting software development process
- Ability to weigh relative costs, in development time and money, of various technical approaches
- Love of simplicity and lack of dogma
- Recognition that work is a marathon, not a sprint, and that quality of work time is more important than quantity
Scoot Science is a California-based, distributed startup founded in 2017 by a team of experienced oceanographers, computer scientists, and data scientists. We use data, analysis, forecasting, and beautiful presentation to give our customers the best insight into what’s currently happening, and what will be happening, in the coastal oceans.
At Scoot Science, we value ethical practices, a high quality work environment, and diversity in backgrounds and perspectives. These values drive our innovative culture.
Email a resume and contact information to info [at] scootscience.com
Job Type: Full Time, Part Time
Job Location: Remote