Restore America’s Estuaries (RAE) is the leading national non-profit organization dedicated to the protection and restoration of bays and estuaries. RAE leads an alliance of ten community-based conservation organizations representing our nation’s greatest estuaries. For more information on RAE, please see our website: www.estuaries.org.
The Communications Manager will serve as RAE’s lead communications and outreach liaison to promote issues, policies, and programs that advance the mission and goals of the organization. This position requires a highly dynamic individual who is passionate about the natural environment, thrives on creativity and collaboration, and pays close attention to detail and timeliness in a fast-paced work environment. The nature of this position requires a team player with strong communication skills and a positive attitude, as (s)he will have regular interaction with other members of the RAE staff and the RAE President (President) and Board of Directors (Board), federal agency representatives, and other like-minded organizations. The position is located in Arlington, VA and reports directly to the RAE President. This position requires an in-person presence in the office for the majority of working hours.
The Communications Manager will work with the President, Board, and RAE staff to develop and implement a strong and effective outreach, communication, and policy agenda that supports the organization’s overall mission, strategic plan, and program initiatives. This position will utilize RAE’s website, blog, social media, and other electronic communications for effective public engagement and to engage the community of coastal- and estuarine-focused non-profits, businesses, agencies, and research institutions, as well as others involved in our work. Main responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement an inspiring outreach and communication strategy and annual agenda to advance and expand external support for protecting and restoring the health of our nation’s estuaries consistent with RAE’s Strategic Plan;
- Manage coalitions of conservation partners;
- Manage and grow Affiliate Membership program;
- Develop and manage an aggressive social media outreach strategy including: maintain social media calendar, execute day-to-day postings, organize annual webinar series, oversee blog, lead outreach campaigns, and analyze and report effectiveness to maximize results;
- Lead annual National Estuaries Week outreach and grants program;
- Foster and maintain strong working relationship with interested Congressional staff, and assist in organizing briefings; Create and disseminate newsletters, annual report, and other engagement materials;
- Assist with special projects as needed, including research projects, reports, workshops, and the biennial National Summit; Assist in developing proposals for funding of policy and advocacy-related projects; and
- Supervise intern(s), as needed.
- Strong passion for protecting the environment;
- Experience with formulating coastal and estuarine policy;
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills;
- Proficient with Constant Contact and WordPress;
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, and Excel;
- In-depth knowledge and experience creating content for and strategically leveraging various social media platforms (e.g., Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, etc.);
- Self-starting attitude and at ease in a small office setting;
- Excellent teamwork skills;
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent;
- Experience interacting with federal agencies and/or Congress a plus;
- At least three years’ related work experience, preferably in a non-profit advocacy environment;
- Comfortable with some travel. GENERAL CHARACTERISTICS Restore America's Estuaries is a drug-free and smoke-free workplace, and an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
RAE highly values its employees and provides a robust total compensation package. Salary is commensurate with experience for this full-time position, within the range of $60,000 to $68,000 per year. In addition, RAE offers 100% employer-paid insurance premium for employee-only medical and dental coverage; paid time off; and, a generous employer contribution to employees’ retirement plans.
Please send resume, cover letter, and two writing samples to apply [at] estuaries.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Position open until filled. Please do not contact the office directly.