Lynker Technologies, LLC is seeking to hire an Operational Oceanographic Specialist to provide NOAA’s Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services (CO-OPS) with continuous support for monitoring real-time water level, currents, and other oceanographic and meteorological data. This position is located at NOAA’s headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland.
Major duties of the position include:
- Continuously monitor CO-OPS’ network of real-time oceanographic and meteorological sensors for sensor operability;
- Provide quality control to ensure the availability, accuracy, and quality of water level, current, and other oceanographic and meteorological data;
- Investigate data or sensor problems and report changes in sensor status in a timely manner (i.e., before users make decisions);
- Provide daily summaries of station, sensor, or data issues from the previous 24 hours of operations;
- Interact with CO-OPS field personnel who are installing or maintaining observing systems; and
- Communicate with and assist users of CO-OPS’ products and services.
Required qualifications and skills for this position:
- Demonstrated knowledge of oceanographic, meteorological and other scientific principles and technology; in particular, how to analyze physical oceanographic data sets, assess observing sensor operability, and troubleshoot suspect data issues.
- Bachelor of Science degree in oceanography, meteorology, or related physical science field, and have at least four years of relevant professional experience. Eight years of relevant experience in operational oceanography can substitute for this degree requirement.
- The ability to review large volumes of data and identify technical oceanographic issues using customized software and data management tools.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, with CO-OPS personnel and users of CO-OPS’ information.
- Must be able to work 12-hour shifts, including routinely at night and on weekends, and occasionally on holidays.
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.