Marine Advisory Services at the Virginia Institute of Marine Science located in Gloucester Point, VA invites highly qualified applicants to apply for the Marine Business Specialist Position.
The successful candidate with join a dedicated and dynamic team of professionals. The ideal candidate will possess a strong aptitude in economic impact analysis, with demonstrated skills and experience in outreach and leading extension programming in the area of Marine Business.
The mission of Marine Advisory Services is to provide expert science-based information and assistance to the marine industry sectors to maximize efficiency, economy and safety in the judicious utilization of marine resources.
The Marine Business Specialist provides leadership and coordination for developing and maintaining a comprehensive marine business focused extension and applied research program that serves the Commonwealth of Virginia. Primary client groups include a wide range of marine related businesses, state and local government, trade organizations and the
interested public. In addition to general programming related to marine business, the Marine Business Specialist will also lead the Virginia Clean Marina Program.
Reporting to the Director of Marine Advisory Services, the Marine Business Specialist represents VIMS Marine Advisory Services and VA Sea Grant at professional meetings, collaborative working groups and partnerships in the areas of clean marinas/marine business/ applied marine
Core responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Leads extension programming in the area of marine business. Provides technical assistance, extension and outreach on marine business related topics of importance to industry, agencies (local,
state, regional and federal), coastal communities, legislators and other relevant stakeholder groups.
- Leads and/or participate in applied economic research projects of importance to stakeholder groups in Virginia. Conducts and participates in regional and statewide conferences and workshops to highlight development issues.
- Plans, directs and implements training workshops to establish working relationships with industry and local communities. Provides management assistance on such issues as income tax laws and regulations, cash flow management and industry specific government regulations which may affect business activity.
- Provides programmatic integration and growth. Establishes liaison and working relationships with agencies (local, state and federal and state) Sea Grant Programs (regionally and nationally) to support
water dependent businesses.
- Secures and manages extramural funding in support of applied economic research and extension programming.
Master’s degree in natural resource, agricultural or marine/coastal policy or closely related field, a MBA or related Business degree.
- Knowledge of marine science research as it relates to Marine Business.
- Strong knowledge and application of economic principles, with the ability apply to economic research projects.
- Strong project management and leadership skills with the ability to lead extension programming in the area of marine business.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a variety of software applications to include MS Office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint) and working with statistical programs.
- Considerable knowledge of quantitative analysis, econometric theory, statistics and research methodologies, with the ability to conduct economic impact analyses.
- Flexibility to meet overnight and or weekend travel.
- Experience interacting with a diverse client group that ranges from academic, governmental and general public clients.
- Experience with outreach and extension programming and data analysis.
Ph.D. in natural resource, agricultural or general economics marine/coastal policy or closely related field.
COMPETENCIES / EXPERIENCE:
- Strong platform skills with the ability to deliver effective training as required.
- Professional background working with marine related businesses, federal, state, local government, or resource managers.
- Experience securing and managing extramural funding in support of applied economic research and extension programming.
- Significant experience with an outreach and extension programming, and applying economic research projects of importance to state holder groups in VA.
- Proven experience conducting economic impact analyses.