Save The River, a member-based, nonprofit environmental organization, has been the “voice for the St. Lawrence River” in the U.S. and Canada since 1978. Save The River’s mission has always been to restore, preserve and protect the ecological integrity of the Upper St. Lawrence River through advocacy, education and research. In 2004, Save The River was designated the Upper St. Lawrence Riverkeeper and became a member of the international Waterkeeper Alliance with the goal of a swimmable, fishable, drinkable River.
As the leading grassroots advocacy organization working to protect the St. Lawrence River, Save The River takes an active role in River policy issues, engaging decision-makers, community leaders, residents, visitors and volunteers to make positive change. Every year we work with school districts in the watershed to educate 1,000+ students in a place-based curriculum that stresses age-appropriate aspects of stewardship.
Significant progress has been made in protecting the St. Lawrence River’s water quality and habitat, and in expanding the number of people and communities involved in that effort during the 40+ years of Save The River’s existence. However, much remains to be done and we are looking to expand our team to take on the task.
The Program Coordinator develops, coordinates, implements and evaluates all aspects of Save The River’s current educational programs, and events. In addition, they recommend and develop new programs to advance the mission of Save The River. The Program Coordinator works closely with the Outreach Coordinator on volunteer involvement and on communications to keep the Board, membership and the public informed about programs and events, and participates in fundraising, strategic planning, and setting program goals and budgets. The Program Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Program Coordination:
● Responsible for all aspects of Save The River’s ongoing In the Schools, On the Water and Riverkeeper and Jr.
Riverkeeper educational programs, including:
- developing and implementing long-term goals and strategies to achieve successful outcomes
- planning the delivery of the programs
- developing, with the Executive Director, annual budgets and funding proposals to ensure the sustainability of the programs
- designing and implementing a system to evaluate program success and suggest improvements
- engaging and managing volunteers as appropriate in the delivery of programs
- designing and implementing new education programs consistent with the mission and strategic goals of Save The River
Responsible for coordinating volunteer involvement in BeachWatch, Catch and Release, Tern Restoration, Shoalmarking and events, including:
- assessing the need for, and developing, promoting and implementing volunteer involvement in all programs
- developing, with the Executive Director, annual budgets and funding proposals for volunteer activities
- tracking volunteer participation and quantifying their contribution to each program
- evaluating volunteer involvement and recommending improvements as necessary
- with Outreach Coordinator, develop written and online promotional material for Save The River programs and events
- identify and develop partnerships that will enhance Save The River’s ability to fulfill the goals of its programs
- assist with planning and coordinating Save The River events
- attend to general office duties when needed
- other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, environmental policy, or environmental education plus a minimum of four years experience in a relevant field.
- Excellent oral, writing and listening communications skills, effective public speaker in varied settings.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work in a team-oriented, multi-task work environment.
- Ability to manage a number of projects, partnerships and professional relationships.
- Ability to plan, organize and think strategically and independently.
- Driver License, Passport and ability to travel to Canada.
- Knowledge of the St. Lawrence River, and environmental policy and restoration techniques strongly preferred.
- Proficient computer skills with a knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Google Office applications, and Apple hardware a plus.
- Ability to lift 40lbs.
- Commitment to Save The River’s mission and values.
- Office environment with considerable outdoor river-related activities during the late spring, summer and early fall.
- Engage and inform the public on various environmental issues
- Some weekend work especially during the summer
- Ability and willingness to travel throughout the River region and occasionally beyond for meetings and conferences.
- Opportunity for professional growth.
- Salary commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits.
- Save The River is an equal opportunity employer.
Send resume, cover letter and references, preferably in .pdf format, via email to kendall [at] savetheriver.org.