Integrated Statistics is looking for an Environmental Specialist to work with National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) Greater Atlantic Regional Field Office (GARFO) in Gloucester, MA.
The Environmental Specialist will support the NMFS GARFO, Protected Resources Division (PRD), which is responsible for implementation of the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and Marine Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) covering the geographic range from Maine to Virginia.
This position is concerned with regulatory and analytical processes, rather than with field research.
The Environmental Specialist will take responsibility for these tasks:
- Providing assistance to the energy team on Section 7 consultations related to the effects of energy projects on ESA listed species such as North Atlantic right whales and Atlantic and shortnose sturgeon.
- Developing letters of concurrence, sections of biological opinions, and literature reviews.
- Responding to requests for information from action agencies such as FERC, NRC, and BOEM and assisting in providing technical assistance.
The Environmental Specialist should possess:
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Biology, Environmental Science, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, Endangered Species Act, and other applicable statutes and policies.
- Work experience in the review and development of environmental impact statements or similar reviews of the impact of actions on the marine environment.
- Experience assessing the impacts of Federal, state. or private actions on marine species, including whales, sea turtles, fish, and their habitats and preparing written reports on those impacts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, attention to detail, and organization skills.
- Ability to work independently, and to meet appropriate project milestones.
The position is expected to last approximately one year. The position is eligible for the benefits described on the Integrated Statistics website. The position may begin with a period of remote work, to accommodate pandemic restrictions, but the Environmental Specialist will work on-site after that.
Integrated Statistics is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law. Consistent with its obligations under federal law, Integrated Statistics is committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, disabled individuals, special disabled veterans, veterans of the Vietnam era, and other eligible veterans. For assistance with accessibility of applications, posters, forms, and/or documents, please email the Integrated Statistics office.