Open date: June 24th, 2020
Next review date: Friday, Jul 24, 2020 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Wednesday, Jun 30, 2021 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
The Ocean Sciences Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for a Marine Geology Graphics and Publication Specialist. Under the direction of Peggy Delaney, the Marine Geology Graphics and Publication Specialist will support the preparation of graphics and other materials for a textbook being written by Delaney with a co-author for an established press. The position’s activities will be conducted remotely and they include the following: research and preparation of figures for this textbook completed according to the specifications defined by the press, preparing chapter questions answer keys, maintaining organized files of all existing and newly created graphics materials, and communicating as needed with other professionals in the field.
Applicants who have the below criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Experience in classroom instruction in Marine Geology as a teaching assistant or instructor of record or other teaching experience in oceanography or earth/environmental sciences.
- Experience with contributing graphics and figures to one or more publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- A Master’s Degree or higher (or equivalent foreign degree) in oceanography, marine geology, earth sciences, or a related discipline; or a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent foreign degree) in oceanography, marine geology, earth sciences, or a related discipline and a minimum of two years’ post baccalaureate research experience. Degree requirement must be met at the time of application
- Demonstrated experience in producing publication-quality scientific graphics and figures.
As soon as possible after initial review of the applications
DURATION OF POSITION
Initial appointment will be for one year at a variable percentage of time (10% to 50%) based on the availability of funding and/or work. Reappointment will be considered contingent upon the availability of work and appropriate funding.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00829
Please refer to Position # JPF00829-20T in all correspondence.
- Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position (required)
- Curriculum vitae, which must include a list of professional references* (required)
- List of publications that demonstrate experience in producing publication-quality scientific graphics (required)
*The committee will contact the references of those applicants who are under serious consideration.
Full consideration will be given to applications completed by July 24, 2020. Applications received after this date will be considered only if the position has not been filled.
The hiring unit will not sponsor employment-eligible immigration statuses for this position.