The Ecological Modelling Associate Director will work with a diverse team, including other project staff and consultants, to develop socio-ecological models of the project area. Those models and resulting findings will be used to guide and inform both development and regulatory decisions, including environmental and social impact assessments (ESIA), to ensure environmental sustainability of The Red Sea (TRS). She/he will work closely with other staff across the Environmental Regulatory Team to maximize the value of information available to the program, and to identify important data and information gaps. She/he will review ESIAs and provide recommendations and advise to the Director of ESIA Review and Permitting, Executive Director of Environmental Regulatory Division, and the Chief Environmental Sustainability Officer. She/he will at times lead or participate in surveys and other information gathering activities, and will assist and occasionally lead the collation, synthesis, analysis, and reporting of social and ecological data. She/he will, as needed, contribute to other research, monitoring, and surveillance activities within the marine and terrestrial ecosystems of the TRS Special Economic Zone.
- Generate & Operationalize ecological models that can be used to assess the costs and benefits of a range of potential management actions and development options. Collectively, model outputs in order to improve the ability of the regulatory (and other departmental) team(s) to optimize management and conservation strategies to best ensure long-term social, economic, and environmental sustainability.
- Ensure that the environmental sustainability group efficiently gathers and appropriately uses biological, socio-economic, and other data to meet regulatory and management requirements,
- Coordinate and guide the work of team members, partners, and consultants towards the production of ecological models, reports, and other decision-support tools and products that will advance sustainability goals and objectives.
- Establish and lead working groups and associated workshops involving a diverse range of partners, national and international experts.
- Identify needs for and subsequently direct project staff and contractors to build the information base(s), and to develop the requisite ecological understanding needed to make regulatory and management decisions pertaining to complex interrelated ecosystems.
- Prepare and manage budgets for information gathering and analytical activities necessary to support the regulatory team’s modeling activities. Ensure quality and cost effectiveness of work to support modelling goals.
- Develop science-based models that provide a means to explore and evaluate a range of management and regulatory actions, and to predict environmental impacts and future states.
- Identify risks and opportunities that may impact the organization from an environmental governance and corporate responsibility perspective and identify appropriate potential mitigation.
- Ensure timely and accurate responses to environmental governance focused inquiries from investors, governmental and non-governmental organizations, and other stakeholders
- Coordinate data collection across functions and plan and oversee the development of accurate reports and content and ensure quality and timeliness of all written material.
Policies, Systems, Processes, Procedures, Standards and Reports
- Follow all relevant administrative and functional policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions to ensure that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
Safety, Quality & Environment
Apply safety, quality, and environmental management policies, procedures and controls to ensure employee safety, legislative compliance, delivery of high-quality products/service and a responsible environmental attitude.
Contribute to the identification of opportunities for continuous improvement of environmental sustainability and governance.
Qualification, Experience and Skills
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in tropical ecosystem ecology, conservation, and management.
- PhD in ecological modelling.
- Demonstrated ability to develop meaningful socio-ecological models (such as with Ecopath, Ecosim, or Atlantis), and to generate results that can contribute to management planning and review of management options.
- Extensive familiarity and personal experience of a wide range of ecological and social surveys, and in the analysis and modelling of such data.
- Competence with scientific or programming software or languages (such as R).
- Ability to communicate effectively to team members and staff.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Excellent oral and written communication, strategic thinking and “people” skills.
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and other software which support environmental research and management effectiveness
- Experience working within a multidisciplinary / multi-cultural team within an environmental regulator or government body.
- Knowledge of and experience working on tropical marine and nearshore ecosystems and organisms.
- Experience/skills in GIS would be advantageous.
- Solid experience working in and or across GCC would be an asset.
- Arabic language skills would be an asset.