About the Organization
Heal the Bay is an environmental nonprofit group dedicated to making California coastal waters safe and healthy for people and marine life. We achieve our mission by using science, advocacy, community outreach, and public education to create positive change in our environment.
About the Role
The Advancement Director plans and implements all fundraising for Heal the Bay. They work closely with the CEO, CFO and Marketing team to create fundraising strategies, set and track goals, and grow HTB’s annual revenues. Additional responsibilities include staff management, financial planning, strategic planning, board relations, and relationship building across sectors. A successful candidate will have a proven ability to create and build on funding opportunities; be comfortable in diverse social situations; and have a passion for protecting the environment.
We strongly encourage applications from individuals that reflect the diversity of Los Angeles County, including but not limited to People of Color, LGBTQIA and other communities that environmental organizations, including Heal the Bay, have not adequately engaged.
Expectations & Responsibilities
- Raise $4.2 million in FY2021;
- Oversee and manage all aspects of fundraising, including major gifts, corporate and foundation gifts, fundraising events, planned giving, and other;
- Create annual fundraising plans and staff work plans, and conduct quarterly and annual staff reviews;
- In concert with the CEO and Advancement team, cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts from a portfolio of high-net-worth individuals, foundations, and corporations;
- Supervise development and execution of a major gift and foundation pipeline;
- Work closely with Marketing team on Advancement campaigns and materials;
- Supervise direct mail and membership programs to increase membership;
- Supervise communication with more than 15,000 members via thank you and recognition programs, personal responses, and one-on-one meetings;
- Create niche-marketing opportunities via third-party benefit events, retail sales, and other corporate partnerships;
- Participate on Heal the Bay’s management team.
- 5+ years of fundraising leadership and solicitation experience;
- Demonstrated success cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding high-net-worth individuals, with a track record of securing gifts and moving donors up the giving pyramid;
- Ability to communicate the mission and activities of HTB in compelling ways to different audiences;
- Digital fluency in Salesforce or similar donor relations management database;
- Ability to set and achieve goals, and a creative approach to problem solving;
- Ability to perform under pressure in a dynamic environment;
- Superior interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, including the poise, presence and judgment to work effectively with the Executive Leadership, Board of Directors, major donors, and prospects;
- Excellent organizational and project management skills.
Salary Range: starting $85,000.
The position is full time and some evening and weekend work is required.
Heal the Bay offers an excellent benefit package.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter and resume to mmccarthy [at] healthebay.org (Meredith McCarthy), Director of Operations, with “Advancement Director” in the subject line.