The Carr Lab at the University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) invites applications for the position of Diving Field Technician in marine ecology, under the direction of Dr. Mark Carr. This position will assist with interdisciplinary studies focusing on questions in marine ecology, population genetics, fisheries, and conservation of nearshore species, and oceanographic drivers of ecological processes. Successful candidates will also participate in a large-scale kelp forest and oceanographic monitoring program along the west coast. SCUBA diving is an essential function of this job.
General responsibilities include: participate in SCUBA based ecological monitoring surveys of kelp forests along the California Coast, coordinate and oversee staff and resources for on-going research projects; plan and organize logistics for local and remote field missions; independently develop and refine sampling design and protocols as needed; collect and perform quality control and basic analysis of data as well as organize and modify project databases; maintain small boats and vehicles; and contribute to the development of technical reports and grant proposals. Given the nature of the position, Diving Field Technicians must successfully work independently and as part of a team and they must consistently demonstrate strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills.
Applicants with experience in the following areas strongly encouraged to apply: MOTC certification and experience operating small (15-25’) vessels in coastal waters of central California; leading groups of research divers in potentially harsh field conditions; and/or training and overseeing technical field assistants.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- Selected candidates will travel and work at remote field sites for prolonged periods (1-2 weeks) along California Coast and must be able to adapt to a flexible field schedule including some evenings and weekends.
- Selected candidates must be physically capable of carrying 75 lbs. of field equipment to and from field sites.
- Selected candidates must provide a LOR (letter of reciprocity) from a participating AAUS institution certifying qualification as a Scientific Research Diver prior to employment.
Minimum annual salary $42,300 (pro-rated based on percent time), commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Bachelor degree in Marine Biology or related field. It is expected that the degree requirement will be completed by June 14, 2020.
- A minimum of one year of experience in laboratory and/or field research relevant to the advertised position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of species identification of algae, invertebrates, and fishes in kelp forest ecosystems along the coast of California.
- Experience with conducting field research in kelp forest ecosystems along the coast of California
- Experience with organizing people and resources for field missions (including scheduling, ordering, and task coordination).
- Experience using Windows, Microsoft Office Suite, and data-analysis programs such as JMP, SYSTAT or R.
Annual, short-term appointments between 50% and 100% time. Appointments will begin as soon as June 15, 2020, for a duration of 4-6 months. Reappointment is contingent upon the availability of funding. Degree must be completed by June 14, 2020 for employment effective June 15, 2020 and beyond.
Applications are accepted via the UCSC Academic Recruit online system. All documents and materials must be submitted as PDFs.
APPLY AT https://recruit.ucsc.edu/apply/JPF00806
Please refer to Position # JPF00806-20P in all correspondence.
- Letter of application that briefly summarizes your qualifications and interest in the position. Please be sure to address how you meet all of the advertised basic qualifications. (Required)
- Curriculum vitae that includes the names and contact information for a minimum of three professional references. The hiring unit will contact the references of those applicants who are under serious consideration. (Required)
Applications for this initial recruitment period will be accepted through September 30, 2020. This recruitment is valid for initial appointments beginning June 15, 2020 through December 15, 2020. Initial appointments made after this period must be made through other recruitments.