ABOUT OCEAN CONSERVANCY
Ocean Conservancy educates and empowers citizens to take action on behalf of the ocean. From the Arctic to the Gulf of Mexico to the halls of Congress, Ocean Conservancy brings people together to find solutions for our water planet. Informed by science, our work guides policy and engages people in protecting the ocean and its wildlife for future generations.
Global shipping is a major contributor to greenhouse gas emissions which are driving the climate emergency. Ocean Conservancy has launched a campaign to greatly reduce these emissions, targeting international decisions in 2023 at the International Maritime Organization. The International Outreach Manager, Shipping Emissions Campaign will focus on regional initiatives working to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from shipping, with an emphasis on cultivating zero carbon shipping champions. With a passion for outreach and a keen understanding of working with and building coalitions, the International Outreach Manager should be adept at outreach, organizing workshops, and working with larger coalitions to achieve campaign goals.
The International Outreach Manager’s portfolio will focus on reducing greenhouse gas emissions from shipping and will work within our Arctic programs, who have historically taken the lead on shipping and International Maritime Organization work, while coordinating with our Climate, Government Relations and Digital/Communications teams to influence decision-makers and ensure the health of our ocean.
- Organize regional workshops to advance objectives for Ocean Conservancy’s campaign to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from global shipping.
- Work with our Shipping Emissions, Climate and International Government Relations teams on outreach to countries to cultivate zero emission shipping champions.
- Advocate at the International Maritime Organization in coordination with the Clean Shipping Coalition and Climate Emergency Shipping Coalition to advance zero carbon shipping.
- Provide leadership in coalitions and regional initiatives advocating for zero carbon shipping.
- Work with Ocean Conservancy’s digital and communications teams to amplify the issues of reducing shipping emissions and the important role of our ocean in the global climate change conversation.
- Serve as a trusted partner within the organization and a credible ambassador of our work externally.
- 3-5 years of experience in shipping, emissions, or international outreach.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, Spanish, or French highly desirable.
- Experience working at international institutions and with policy makers, scientists, and industry.
- A creative, collaborative team player adept at working with coalitions and across lines of difference.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask, work independently, and handle a fast-paced work environment in good humor.
- Bachelor’s degree
APPLY FOR THE POSITION
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s team, please apply here.
Ocean Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, handicap, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, or veteran status. Ocean Conservancy is continually seeking to diversify its staff, particularly to broaden opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy.