Biosphere 2 at the University of Arizona is searching for a Research Specialist on the Biosphere 2 Ocean team. We are seeking an early career research specialist/technician to join our interdisciplinary science team with expertise and interest in marine geochemistry, marine ecology, and ecosystem experiments. The Research Specialist will participate in the coordination, implementation, and analysis of experimental research in the Ocean Biome. The ideal candidate will be passionate about life-long learning, science and inquiry-based education in an informal setting and be able to communicate to a wide ranging audience. We are looking for someone who will be focused on providing uniformly excellent customer service to all guests and consistently project a professional image of the Biosphere 2 team to all visitors. Biosphere 2 is one of the world's most unique facilities dedicated to the research and understanding of global scientific issues. The Biosphere 2 facility serves as a laboratory for controlled scientific studies, an arena for scientific discovery and discussion, and a far-reaching provider of public education. Its mission is to serve as a center for research, outreach, teaching and life-long learning about Earth, its living systems, and its place in the universe; to catalyze interdisciplinary thinking and understanding about Earth and its future; to be an adaptive tool for Earth education and outreach to industry, government, and the public; and to distill issues related to Earth systems planning and management for use by policymakers, students and the public.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-life programs. For more information about working at the University of Arizona and relocations services, please click here http://talent.arizona.edu/
As a cost-saving measure related to the impact of COVID-19, Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs have been approved by the Arizona Board of Regents. All new hires subject to the programs will be notified in accordance with adopted Furlough and Furlough-Based Salary Programs guidelines and will be required to comply with all measures. To learn more about the programs and whether this position is affected, please visit hr.arizona.edu/FY-2020-2021-Furlough-Program.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Operate water monitoring and sampling systems, including routine maintenance of sensors and instrumentation (e.g., YSI sonde and HOBO sensors, and Hach colorimeter)
• Assist with collection, analysis, and archiving of routine microbial and geochemical (e.g., stable isotope, trace element, alkalinity, DIC, DOC) samples of Biosphere 2 Ocean (seawater, sediment, and biota)
• Coordinate shipment of samples to external laboratories
• Assist with introductions of new species into the system(s)
• Assist in the management of experimental raceway systems for Biosphere 2 Ocean coral-reef research
•Assist with daily life support for organisms in the Biosphere 2 Ocean and experimental raceway systems: monitoring, feeding, cleaning, water quality, and trouble-shooting
• Assist peers in the experimental design, logistics planning, and execution of large-scale experiments
• Coordinate with vendors for maintenance, parts, and consumables
• Maintaining list of consumables, products, laboratory safety sheets, and protocols
• Troubleshoot, calibrate and replace a broad range (fresh and salt) water equipment, instrumentation, and sensors
• Coordinate laboratory and marine fieldwork, and assist in data analysis and writing of technical reports as needed
• Develop competence in the operations of filtration, circulation, and lighting systems
• Train and mentor students and interns working with the Biosphere 2 Ocean team
• Assist in on and off site programs and social media relations for public visitors, journalists and media, and VIP guests
• Perform other duties as workload necessitates.
• Additional duties as assigned.
Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience required.
High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience required.
• Extensive diving experience (including in scientific settings), with rescue dive certification or willingness to obtain within 6 months of the position start date
• Experience working with environmental samples. The ideal candidate will have experience in laboratory techniques and field sampling
• Experience and willingness to work in diverse and field settings throughout Biosphere 2
• Passion for the mission of the University of Arizona Biosphere 2