The Good Food Institute (GFI) is at the forefront of the movement to use food technology and markets to solve some of the world’s biggest problems, from climate change and global hunger to antibiotic resistance and the exploitation of billions of animals annually.
The health and welfare of billions of people, and indeed the stability of life on earth, depends on vibrant and robust oceans. Global demand for seafood is projected to increase by nearly 30% within a decade, while over 90% of wild fisheries are fished at maximum capacity, are classified as overfished, or are already depleted. Across the globe, overfishing has pushed many species to extinction and driven many ocean ecosystems to the point of collapse. Alternative — plant-based, fermentation-derived, and cultivated — seafood represents a highly tractable approach for alleviating pressure on both wild fisheries and aquaculture systems. With increased scale, these methods can provide low-cost, high-quality seafood to all global markets. You can learn more about the potential of alternative seafood in GFI’s action paper here.
How You Will Make a Difference
The Corporate Engagement Specialist will manage projects to increase investment in and production and sale of plant-based, fermentation-derived, and cultivated seafood in the U.S. and globally. By building relationships with startups, investors, meat companies, seafood companies, and other key players, the Corporate Engagement Specialist will play an instrumental role in accelerating the growth of alternative seafood around the globe by:
- Building a list of high-priority conventional seafood companies in the U.S. and globally and conducting proactive outreach to these companies to make the case for producing, investing in, or otherwise participating in the market for alternative seafood.
- Supporting the work of members of GFI’s Corporate Engagement team to educate all relevant private sector entities on the future of plant-based and cultivated seafood, including startups, investors, retailers, and foodservice companies.
- Working closely with the Managing Directors and Corporate Engagement staff of GFI’s five international affiliates (with a specific focus on Asia) to support the growth of the alternative seafood industry on a global scale, including — when necessary — hiring consultants in-region to support the goals of the SSI (Sustainable Seafood Initiative).
- Managing the implementation and dissemination of relevant consumer and market research on plant-based and cultivated seafood with startups, investors, and corporations.
- Identifying, attending, and speaking at key industry events.
- Becoming an expert on the plant-based and cultivated seafood industry in the U.S. and globally.
- Performing additional duties to fulfill the goals of the SSI strategic plan.
Who We’re Looking For
The Corporate Engagement Specialist, Seafood must have:
- A degree in a related field (e.g. business, marketing, communications) and 2+ years experience in marketing, sales, or corporate affairs; experience in the seafood sector a plus.
- Persuasive and engaging interpersonal skills, including exceptional public speaking and presentation skills.
- A proven ability to engage with corporate executives, build long-term relationships with them, and to persuade and influence decision-makers.
- Excellent writing skills.
- The ability to travel frequently, including international travel.
- A demonstrated ability to manage several high-impact projects at once.
- Experience working with companies in the Asia Pacific region preferred.
- Comfort working remotely and in a rapidly growing and evolving organization.
- Infectious enthusiasm for GFI’s philosophy and mission; demonstrated interest in public health, environmentalism, animal protection, or hunger relief.
We want the best people and we don’t want biases holding us back. We strongly encourage people of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability to apply. Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive climate absent of discrimination and harassment during the application process and after you join the team.
The Fine Print
- Terms of employment: Full-time, exempt
- Reports to: Jen Lamy, Sustainable Seafood Initiative Manager
- Location: Remote; United States
- Travel: Frequent travel, including international trips, for in-person meetings, conferences, and events (note that all business is presently being conducted virtually due to the pandemic).
- Benefits: Working from home, full medical coverage, optional dental and vision packages, a 401(k) plan with employer match, flexible holiday and vacation plans, opportunity for advancement, respectful managers, and supportive colleagues.
- This is a U.S.-based position: In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
- Salary: $50,000 - $60,000
Please review our detailed hiring brochure (direct download) to learn more about GFI's mission and strategic objectives, our team, the hiring process, and more!