Kelp Supply Manager
This is a full time, salaried year-round position.
Responsibilities may include
- Work in partnership with other members of the kelp supply team to innovate our nursery, grow and cultivate new seaweed varieties, and improve efficiency, innovation, and effectiveness at the nursery level
- In partnership with other members of the kelp supply team, be Atlantic Sea Farm’s ambassador to the ocean, ensuring that all farming practices are not only sustainable, but actually improve the natural environment around them – and follow, compile, and synthesize research on carbon removal and other benefits of kelp to our environment.
- Work with teammates and CEO to implement strategy for kelp cultivation and farmer network improvements.
- With rest of the kelp supply team, coordinate Farmer Network Meeting, along with other group educational opportunities such as exchange trips to introduce partner farmers to seaweed cultivation methods.
- Work with partner farmers to develop new techniques for out planting and cultivation of both currently grown and not-yet-cultivated species of seaweed.
- Be a dynamic force in advocating for ocean friendly and, where it overlaps, aquaculture friendly policies both at the state and national scale. Also effectively and efficiently advocate for our independent partner farmers and policies that enable small-scale, sustainable kelp operations to flourish in Maine.
- Work in partnership with scientific and research institutions to improve our understanding of the science surrounding kelp and ensure that Atlantic Sea Farms is able to participate in, and benefit from, projects that improve the technologies around kelp aquaculture and that give us a better understanding of, and amplify our contribution to, environmental improvement.
- Coordinate and communicate with our partner farmers and production staff to come up with a workable and efficient schedule for kelp harvesting season and coordinate, with ASF’s Continuous Improvement and Sustainability Manager and the production teams harvest schedules and dock pickups.
- Assist in a variety of nursery and facility expansion projects often requiring use of power equipment with an eye toward safety.
- Communicate and strategize closely with ASF Executive Team to highlight partner farmers, amplify our social mission, and create efficiencies and promote fairness within the entire supply chain. Be proactive in supporting our marketing and storytelling efforts about our social mission.
- Contribute critical thinking and innovation necessary for improving and expanding the operations of an exciting, rapidly growing business with a strong social and economic mission.
- Manage financials for nursery and kelp supply operations; support grant writing and fundraising when applicable
- Lead boat tours of farms for customers and press
- Support production, product development, sustainability, marketing, and sales teams as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher – preference for applicants with Masters or PHD in marine biology or extensive experience working in aquaculture or kelp.
- Extensive experience working on the water including boat operation and maintenance, rope work, mooring design, and marine safety.
- Background in marine science and ecology.
- Experience operating large vehicles.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate effectively with partner farmers, policy makers, team members, and customers.
- Flexibility in schedule with ability to work early mornings, evenings, and on weekends when necessary. An understanding and excitement about the demands, variability, and unpredictability of a rapidly growing start-up
- A strong work ethic and a passion for the ocean and our social mission of diversifying Maine’s coastal livelihoods in the face of climate change.
- Ability to lift and move objects of up to 50lbs.
- A positive attitude and a willingness to learn during an exciting period of growth for Atlantic Sea Farms.
- Candidates with experience in policy or advocacy are encouraged to apply
- Grant writing and/or financial management experience is a plus
Compensation: Competitive compensation will be offered based on experience. On the job learning is a must, and candidates with several but not all of the above qualifications are encouraged to apply.
Ocean Approved, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.