Ocean Visions Communications Director
January 4, 2020
Who We Are
Ocean Visions is a science and innovation organization whose mission is to identify, develop, demonstrate and ultimately deploy equitable, durable, and scalable solutions to the ocean’s most pressing environmental challenges. The Ocean Visions Network brings together some of the US’ leading ocean academic and research institutions with a diverse set of private sector actors, all with a shared interest in ocean solutions.
We seek a Communications Director to join our small, virtual team and help us move practicable ocean solutions out of labs and research facilities and into settings where they can help reverse the dangerous deterioration of the oceans.
The Director will lead planning and implementation of internal and external OV communications. This includes design and execution of communications to advance the various and specific programmatic initiatives of Ocean Visions; communications that help to build, strengthen and activate the greater Ocean Visions network; and efforts to increase understanding and awareness of ocean challenges and viable solutions with target audiences.
The Communications Director will work collaboratively on these tasks with Ocean Visions’ Executive Director and Science Director, as well as with a wide range of Ocean Visions partners and key external parties.
- Work with the ED to develop and execute communications strategies to raise the profile of Ocean Visions and its work and expand OV’s reach as a leader in the ocean solutions space.
- Develop, lead and support communication strategies and actions that advance key OV programmatic initiatives.
- Develop and deliver OV’s core messaging around its strategic priorities and programmatic initiatives. Ensure those messages reach OV’s target audiences.
- Conduct media outreach across multiple platforms and secure key media placements that advance OV objectives.
- Develop a wide array of written and visual communications products and content, including PowerPoint presentations, stories, all web content and social media
- Develop and manage the OV e-newsletter profiling about the work of OV and ocean solutions to our network
- Build and maintain relationships with OV Network partners and external collaborators.\
- Manage relationships and projects with vendors including graphic designers, videographers and CRM providers.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field. Preference given to those with a master’s degree in communications, environmental policy, or another related field
- At least six years of relevant professional experience in communications. Preference will be given to candidates with more experience
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Excellent and demonstrated writing ability
- Excellent and demonstrated oral communication ability
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work with a wide variety of people
- Proven ability to plan, prioritize, and organize a varied workload, while being able to adjust to changes in priorities
- Ability to effectively manage projects and meet tight deadlines
- Capacity to synthesize complex scientific subjects and materials and communicate in a manner easily understood by non-scientists
- Familiarity with ocean, environmental, and climate issues strongly preferred
- Solid knowledge of communicating scientific concepts to non-scientific audiences
- Website development and management
- Fluency with social media platforms
- Familiarity with customer relations management software (e.g. Mailchimp, Salesforce, etc)
- Strong media relations background
- Familiarity supporting donor relations
Hours, Location, and Compensation
This is a full-time exempt professional position. This position is remote and location is flexible, but the Communications Director must be able to work within the business hours of the continental US. The salary range for this position is $80-100k/yr. dependent on experience and salary history. Health and other benefits are included as part of the compensation package.
To Apply: Interested candidates must provide a cover letter and resume to Ocean Visions at comms-director [at] oceanvisions.org. Applicants selected for interviews will be required to provide contact information for three references. A background check and writing test will be required for all final candidates.
Deadline: Applications will be reviewed beginning on January 25, 2020. The position will remain open until filled.
Values: Ocean Visions strives to cultivate a diverse, equitable, just, and inclusive community of researchers and practitioners around the world focused on solutions for a healthy and sustainable ocean. Ocean Visions is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage women, minorities, veterans, those with disabilities, and other underrepresented groups to apply.