The American Shore and Beach Preservation Association (ASBPA) is seeking an Executive Director. The Executive Director will be expected to lead ASBPA’s efforts in government affairs, fundraising, strategic partnerships and outreach, and planning and vision-setting, while serving as primary public spokesperson for the organization and managing a team of four full and part-time contracted staff.
This position is based in Washington, DC.
Specific duties and knowledge include:
Congressional and federal agency advocacy and outreach:
- Develop/maintain ASBPA relationships with key Senators, Representatives, and their staffers;
- Provide policy input on coastal legislation, including congressional testimony as requested;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key Army Corps of Engineers, NOAA, FEMA, USGS and other agency personnel;
- Develop and implement policy advocacy campaigns;
- Track and report on coastal policy and decision-making;
- Recommend policies for ASBPA to support;
- Develop ASBPA’s policy Summit program and invite speakers.
- Solicit sponsorships for technical Conference and policy Summit;
- Build and maintain relationships with individual and corporate donors;
- Develop and support revenue generating programs.
Strategic Partnerships, outreach, and communications:
- Participate on coalitions, boards and committees on behalf of ASBPA;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key NGOs;
- Provide guidance for ASBPA chapters;
- Communicate and promote ASBPA events, programs and activities to the coastal community;
- Serve as spokesperson for media inquiries;
Planning, reporting and vision-setting:
- Develop, implement and report on ASBPA’s strategic plan;
- Provide guidance on ASBPA organizational priorities;
- Manage and coordinate staff work;
- Manage and coordinate board expectations.
Skills and experience:
- 10 years’ experience in advocacy, policy and/or government relations;
- A strong knowledge of coastal policy issues, and relevant coastal federal agencies and congressional committees;
- Staff management;
- Proven organizational management, including:
- Fundraising from sponsors and/or donors,
- Development through grant-funded and/or contracted work,
- Campaign and/or strategic planning,
- An excellent communicator, including writing (especially “translating” policy and technical concepts for a non-policy/technical audience), social media, presenting and public speaking.
ASBPA is a 501c3 nonprofit organization dedicated to preserving, protecting and enhancing the beaches, shores and other coastal resources of America by merging science and policy. Founded in 1926, the organization educates and advocates for healthy coasts through sound policy based on science. Among many activities, the association notably publishes a quarterly peer-reviewed journal (Shore & Beach), holds an annual technical conference and an annual policy summit, and presents awards for successful beach and shoreline restoration. ASBPA members are coastal practitioners of all sorts: state, county and municipal governments; elected officials; industry consultants and contractors; students and academics; and individuals whose livelihood is restoring, managing or maintaining coastlines. For more information, see www.asbpa.org.
Association staff and contractors are located across the country; however, this position must be in the Washington, DC region. There is no ASBPA office, the Executive Director is expected to provide his/her own office space.
A multi-year contract will be considered.
Application for the executive director should include
- A letter of interest explaining relevant experience;
- A resume or list of past experiences and qualifications for this role;
- At least three references (with affiliation, email address, and phone number).
Your submittal should be sent to ASBPA Managing Director, managing [at] asbpa.org, with subject line “Executive Director application.”
Consideration of applications will begin in March 2021.
Download the pdf: ASBPA Executive Director RFQ (final) (pdf 192kb)
Questions related to this vacancy announcement may be directed to ASBPA President, Tony Pratt, at President [at] asbpa.org.