With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions. We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.
EDF envisions a world in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected to the environmental challenges we face and are engaged in creating durable, equitable solutions. We seek talented candidates who share our Core Values of Respect, Results, Innovation, Optimism, and Integrity, and support our Commitment to Diversity.
Healthy oceans are the lifeblood of our planet. But they’re in peril - from climate change, overfishing, habitat destruction and other threats. That’s why EDF’s Oceans program is working to safeguard the oceans and protect nature, while feeding the planet, creating more secure livelihoods and bolstering more equitable societies for human well-being. One of the greatest threats to the oceans is overfishing, which is why our dedicated team of scientists, economists and fishery management experts are collaborating with partners around the globe to make sustainable fishing the norm. Through our programs in the U.S., Latin America and Asia Pacific, we draw on strong science and economic principles to advance sustainable fishing practices, forward-looking policies and innovative tools that support the health of our oceans and the people who depend on them for food and their livelihoods.
The Program Coordinator is a member of the Oceans Operations team and works closely with the Oceans Climate Strategies and Oceans Communications teams, which have staff in various locations across the US. The Program Coordinator will provide budget and operational leadership and support for these teams, with particular focus on work involving multilateral international organizations focused on climate resilience and US national policy focused on fisheries reform. The position will work within both the C3 and C4 entities of EDF. In addition, the Coordinator will help with tracking deliverables and assist the teams in allocating resources strategically. Independent judgment is required to plan, prioritize and organize your workload with this busy program. This is an excellent opportunity to use core business skills in support of transformational advocacy campaigns on complex environmental issues. The Program Coordinator reports to the Manager, Oceans Climate Operations.
- Work with program management, program staff, finance staff and development staff to develop annual budget submission.
- Work with program staff and finance staff to maintain project budgets.
- Review monthly reports of actual vs. budget results for the projects; investigate, analyze, and explain variances from budget for income and expense line items; and advise program managers, program staff and finance staff on trends and issues of concern. Make adjustments to forecasted expenses as needed.
- Use financial and budget data to prepare financial proposals and reports for grants, working closely with project staff, the Oceans financial staff and Development through the review, approval and submission process.
- Apply excellent organizational, communication, and planning skills by responding to requests for information, helping to coordinate activities, projects and workplans for the team and preparing reports as needed.
- Administer contracts for consultants, including assistance in writing, processing contracts, and working with program staff and consultants to ensure the obligations of contracts are fulfilled and invoices are submitted in a timely fashion.
- Track progress on key funder deliverables and coordinate quarterly updates with program staff.
- Assist with the administrative processes of the team, including expense reporting and invoice processing. Follow through with Finance staff to ensure these payments are made.
- Manage other administrative tasks for the teams associated with staff, consultants, and interns, including logistics, office needs, and telecommunications.
- Maintain and update file libraries for teams.
- Coordinate program staff and other EDF colleagues to better communicate on joint projects.
- Assist with scheduling for key Ocean Climate Strategies leadership.
- Additional relevant responsibilities as assigned.
- A minimum of three years’ work experience in office administration, operations, or other relevant field.
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with budgeting, accounting, and/or bookkeeping, preferably in a non-profit organization. Knowledge of non-profit accounting and fundraising practices a plus.
- Familiarity in administrative scheduling support.
- Superior skills in MS Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook. Experience with other software systems a plus.
- Excellent project management and administration skills with a keen attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated ability to be clear and concise.
- Creativity, energy, and the ability to prioritize tasks and get work done under pressure.
- Interest in working within both C3 and C4 entities.
- Presence, confidence, and integrity.
- Ability and willingness to work as a strong team player, while at the same time able to work independently and as a self-starter.
- An understanding of and commitment to Environmental Defense Fund’s mission of protecting the natural environment and limiting humankind’s impact on the planet.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.