11th Hour Racing, a Newport RI-based organization, is committed to an innovative approach blending sport sponsorship and philanthropic giving to protect the health of our oceans and waters. We are looking for a college student interested in grantmaking, philanthropy, and, ideally, the intersection of sport and ocean health to join our team for Summer 2021. The intern will work with our small in-house grantmaking team and will get hands-on experience from the funder side of ocean health-related grant work.
The internship is an hourly, paid part time role in the 11th Hour Racing offices; final schedule to be agreed between intern and company. The internship can be taken for course credit as well if the student so desires. This position is based in Newport, RI.
You will work on a range of issues related to grantmaking in the fields of experiential and STEM education, marine plastic pollution, coastal restoration, and technologies and best practices to advance ocean health and address climate change. You will interact closely with 11th Hour Racing staff members and engage with a wide range of grantees and be given responsibilities based on experience and skills, which may include the following:
- Conduct research on emerging initiatives and prospective grantees related to the program’s grantmaking strategy
- Investigate and share findings of current initiatives and research in experiential education, pollution, and marine conservation as they relate to organizational objectives
- Draft short reports, memos, briefs, correspondence, and other written materials in support of ongoing initiatives
- Assist in the review and evaluation of grant proposals and final reports
- Assist in maintaining positive and productive partner and grantee relationships with a wide range of organizations and individuals
- Assist in the planning and coordination of events, conferences, meetings, calls, and presentations
- Participate in group discussions and contribute insights, ideas, and feedback related to grantees or pertinent topics and issues
- Research and share with grantees potential funding opportunities related to ongoing grants and ocean health
- Assist with other projects and activities as assigned