About the job
Would you be interested in an opportunity to develop and implement a one-of-a-kind initiative that helps bring bluetech startups, with potential for sustainable ocean impact, out of the lab and onto the path to commercialization? Are you a natural connector, energized about bringing together startups, corporate innovators, and other stakeholders through a comprehensive Bluetech incubator program?
If you are attuned to the nuances of effective communication, enthusiastic about supporting mission-driven startups, ethical, and interested in business development, you may be the BlueSwell Program Manager we seek!
SeaAhead is a benefit corporation with the mission of supporting venture innovation for the ocean. We with technologists, scientists, startups, corporations, governments and other ocean stakeholders to create impact in areas including clean shipping and ports, aquaculture and fishery, offshore alternative energy, scalable solutions to ocean pollution, and ocean-centric approaches to the challenges of climate change. SeaAhead seeks to improve bluetech startup success rates through connections to investors, industry, and mentors; an active event schedule; an angel investor group and in the near future, a bluetech investment vehicle. SeaAhead’s Bluetech Innovation Hub at CIC Boston, is the first ocean-focused co-working space in Boston and provides a new mechanism to connect the venture ecosystem in Boston’s urban core with ocean industry and related research institutions.
We are a small and powerful team. We believe that our ability to support the bluetech leaders of the future depends on attracting high-caliber contributors to continuously improve the way we work.
ABOUT THE BLUESWELL PROGRAM
The New England Aquarium and SeaAhead have established the BlueSwell Incubator to support the creation and growth of startups with scalable solutions that enhance ocean sustainability and global resilience. This philanthropic, capacity-building program is designed to bridge the market gap that exists for bluetech entrepreneurs as they look to commercialize their technologies. It leverages SeaAhead’s bluetech and blue economy domain expertise, network, and experience in building companies, and the Aquarium’s five decades as a global leader in ocean research and conservation. Through the BlueSwell Program we provide ‘first funding’ through a grant for selected entrepreneurs and call on New England’s diverse and unique innovation capabilities to provide a support infrastructure for new businesses, including direct access to leaders and experts from industry, investment, academia, government and NGOs. The team has now completed Cohort I, which ran from Nov 2020 to April 2021, and is looking to build upon this pilot through a 3-year plan. The next BlueSwell cohort will kick off in early October 2021.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal BlueSwell Program Manager candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Passionate about startups, innovation, and entrepreneurship.
- Open to learning and becoming well-versed in the Bluetech industry; an interest in (or eagerness to learn about) ocean sustainability.
- Strong communicator and relationship-builder; excellent instincts as a connector who enjoys participating in community gatherings and coordinating event logistics.
- Willing to, and skilled at, performing varied operational and administrative tasks; meticulous approach to detail, organization, and time management; able to self-direct and anticipate problems and needs; independent and trustworthy.
- Committed to “mission”-based work, seeing this position as an opportunity to make powerful contributions to larger efforts.
- Collaborative; a team-minded, happy-to-help individual naturally drawn to busy, evolving environments, and continually willing to learn.
- Able to quickly understand what’s needed for the events and programs to be successful.
- Excited about creative opportunities to shape the community and experience of the BlueSwell Cohort
- Pluses: Previous incubator or accelerator management experience; Previous demonstrated interest in ocean sustainability or in a sustainable ocean industry, either in a job or educational setting or both.
OVERVIEW OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The BlueSwell Program Manager reports to Alissa Peterson, Co-Founder and Executive Director of SeaAhead and will work closely with the other members of the SeaAhead and New England Aquarium teams. Responsibilities are wide-ranging making the Program Manager a fun and dynamic role!
On a daily basis you will be responsible for interacting with a wide variety of stakeholders to promote and implement the mission of the BlueSwell Program, including managing interactions with startups, mentors, partners, sponsors, and granting organizations . You will coordinate operations across a complex and dynamic ecosystem, support marketing efforts, assist with business development, manage critical relationships both internally and externally, and support program and event logistics.
- Excellent verbal communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Skilled at using standard business technology, including Microsoft Powerpoint, Word and Excel, Zoom and other video conferencing platforms, with an ability to quickly learn new software.
- Two to four years of full-time working experience.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Interest in a long-term role. We are a growing startup company ourselves, and we like to hire people who can grow with us over the years.
ATTRACTIONS OF THE JOB
As a growing company, we are working to ensure that our employees are healthy and supported, adding new features and benefits as we scale. Some of the attractions of joining SeaAhead include:
- Fun people in a dynamic space. We pride ourselves on finding driven and bright collaborators who are eager to lend their own unique skills to the team, as well as to our inspiring community.
- Personal growth. This is a great opportunity to learn and develop skills within the epicenter of the innovation community at a growing company.
- COVID permitting, our office at CIC Boston is in a fantastic central location in downtown Boston and is within walking distance to the Blue, Green, Orange, and Red line. There is an on-site gym, massages, access to a nursing room, secure bicycle parking, a game room, shower rooms with towels, and stocked kitchens. Access to other CIC locations, in Cambridge, Providence, etc is included.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include three weeks paid vacation plus twelve holidays from the start. Health and Dental coverage included, with further benefits building as the organization grows. All of SeaAhead’s permanent full-time employees are owners in our organization through our stock plan.
SeaAhead is a proud equal opportunity employer and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law. If you require accommodation, please let us know.