Lynker is looking to hire a Fisheries Observer Data Debriefer to support collection of data by the Northeast Fisheries Science Center (NEFSC), Fisheries Sampling Branch's (FSB), NEFOP, ASM, and IFS as required by the Northeast Region's fishery management plans and as mandated by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act and the Sustainable Fisheries Act.
The Data Debriefer will work closely and cooperatively with the FSB to provide timely review of trip data as well as applying codes to data fields as necessary prior to passing paper logs to data entry clerks for keypunching or prior to flagging trip data requiring review by data auditors.
The task includes the following:
a. Contractor shall review/edit electronic data uploads and raw data logs for completeness
and accuracy within established timelines (i.e., 45 days from date land of NEFOP trips, 30 days from date land of IFS trips and seven days from date land of ASM trips).
b. Contractor shall contact observers to verify inconsistencies and solve data recording
problems as needed.
c. Contractor shall maintain records on individual observers to be used in assessing overall
data quality and schedules observer debriefings as necessary.
d. Contractor shall complete evaluations of each observer’s work on a per trip basis.
Submit weekly reports on editing progress to lead data debriefer.
e. Contractor shall keep the lead data debriefer, data processing lead and data managers
informed of important and serious data recording issues.
f. Contractor shall assist with routine audits and checks on trip data prior to the trip being
loaded to the observer database.
g. Contractor shall assist with preparations for Observer Trainings including observer
exercises, homework assignments, workshops, quizzes, exams and presentations as needed.
h. Contractor shall carry the after-hours phone during the week and weekend for after-hours
observer assistance on a rotating schedule.
i. Contractor shall deploy as needed on shadow trips, trip trainer trips and probation/priority
(Data Quality) trips.
j. Contractor may be assigned periodic regional outreach events.
k. Participates on research cruises aboard NOAA research vessels.
- Must have a minimum of one (1) year of relevant experience and requirements for degrees,
- Minimum educational requirements include a B.S. degree in Marine Biology, Fisheries Biology/Management, or a related field.
- Demonstrated interest in fisheries science and management.
- Previous Experience performing as a Fisheries observer is preferred.
- Ability to perform at-sea observer related duties.
- Mentoring training or experience.
- Conflict Resolution training or experience.
- Working with diverse interagency teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as ability to communicate well in both the office and field environments.
- Working with marine fisheries information programs or other science-based programs.
- Ability to represent NEFOP and NOAA programs in conversations with industry participants and stakeholders.
- Ability to go to sea and perform the duties of a fishery observer. These duties involve flexible work/sleep schedules, ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds repeatedly, and the ability to work well with fishing community members, at times under difficult conditions
Lynker Technologies, LLC is a growing, Hub-zone certified small business specializing in professional, scientific and technical services. Our continually expanding team combines scientific expertise with mature, results-driven processes and tools to achieve technically sound, cost effective solutions in hydrology/water sciences, geospatial analysis, information technology, resource management, conservation, and management and business process improvement.
We focus on putting the right people in the right place to be effective. And having the right people is critical for success. Our streamlined organization enables and empowers our talented professionals to tackle our customers’ scientific and technical priorities – creatively and effectively.
Lynker offers a team-oriented work environment, competitive salaries and benefits, and the opportunity to work in a culture of exceptionally skilled and diverse professionals who embrace sound science and creative solutions.
Lynker is an E-Verify employer.
Lynker Technologies is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply.