Do you love the ocean? Are you ready to be part of a team to strengthen, support, and promote global organizations dedicated to preserving ocean environments around the world? The Ocean Foundation, a DC-based non-profit international community foundation is looking for a Plastics Initiative Program Officer to join our team!
The position will be a member of our Program & Consulting team and will report to the President. The Plastics Initiative Program Officer will serve as the technical programmatic lead to manage The Ocean Foundation’s scientific and policy activities related to combating the global challenge of coastal and ocean plastic pollution. This position includes responsibilities related to new business development, fundraising, program implementation, general operations, financial management, risk mitigation, stakeholder engagement and client marketing. The Plastics Initiative Officer role entails representing TOF at relevant meetings, conferences, and events in order to elevate the profile of the organization among domestic and international supporters and collaborators.
In addition, as Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Justice is an important overarching initiative for TOF, this position will support efforts to foster greater diversity and inclusion in the design and execution of all programmatic activities.
- Minimum 5 years of experience showing progressively increasing responsibility in an international nonprofit organization, preferably with environmental or marine conservation focus.
- Minimum 3 years of experience overseeing multiple large scale international projects, including aspects of proposal writing, fundraising, program development, program implementation, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Advanced degree in environmental policy, nonprofit management, ocean conservation, or other related field.
- Proven ability to think and communicate strategically and creatively with a broad and diverse constituency.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining relationships with diverse stakeholders, including funders, program implementers, staff, communities, etc.
- Excellent leadership and team building skills and experience working with diverse groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong project management experience.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and excellent time management.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving skills, planning and budgeting experience.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google products required; experience with Salesforce and Asana a plus; comfort in a Mac environment.
- Multilingual verbal and written skills in English and Spanish preferred.