The Digital Media Coordinator position offers an exciting opportunity for an experienced digital content creator and online community builder to join our small nonprofit team helping to position Ocean Exploration Trust (OET) as an innovator in ocean exploration, education, and outreach. The Digital Media Coordinator will work with Communications, Education, Video Production, and Science team members remotely located across the United States to develop and implement creative, engaging, and inclusive social media messaging and website content targeted for Nautilus Live audiences, including students, educators, scientists, and the general public follow the team and ship around the world. This role requires a proactive self-starter with a strategic understanding of social media best practices and strong writing skills to envision and create innovative content, maintain the Nautilus Live voice across platforms, and increase our online community engagement. This is a remote, primarily shorebased position that may participate in OET expeditions on land or at-sea in a communications-focused role. This is a one year position with the possibility to extend pending grant funding.
- Develop and implement social media and website content with goals including target audience growth and creative differentiation in the online science communication space.
- Generate (including fact-checking and proofreading) and publish content on multiple platforms including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitch, and the Nautilus Live website.
- Actively generate and engage with community conversations across social platforms, particularly with target education audiences, including during nonstandard work hours as needed.
- Collaborate on digital storytelling campaigns with existing expedition and education partners and help envision new connections with content producers in the scicomm space.
- Track and share progress on cross-team content development through organizational project management and calendaring tools including Google Suite and Asana.
- Monitor and analyze social media metrics and best practices to continuously optimize reach and engagement. ● Assist in developing press kits for external media distribution.
- Optional: potential to participate in OET expeditions on land or at-sea as needed in a communications-focused role.
- At least 2-3 years of professional experience creating and distributing digital content on platforms including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Twitch, TikTok.
- Experience representing a brand voice and/or engaging and building social communities.
- Creative storytelling ability and demonstrated initiative to stay up-to-date with best practices for developing social media content.
- Self-starter able to work autonomously as the position will be assigned projects with limited remote supervision.
- Reliability working with deadlines for creating drafts and completed materials, and ability to work flexible hours and weekends when needed.
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading for spelling, grammar, file naming, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, comfortable working with remote team members.
- Commitment to contribute to an inclusive working and learning environment both onshore and at sea.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
We encourage you to apply even if your experience is not a 100% match with the position. We are looking for someone with relevant skills and experience, not a checklist that exactly matches the job description. We want to help you grow and in return, you help us grow into a stronger, more inclusive organization. Please reach out with any questions to careers [at] oet.org.
Preferred Experience: (any one or more is a bonus, all not expected)
- Enthusiasm for science storytelling and translating complex ideas for general and education audiences; familiarity with ocean exploration or marine science helpful but not required.
- Graphic design skills (infographics, animations, promotional materials, memes, etc).
- Familiarity with innovative K-12 education practices, educator professional development, or STEM education community networks.
- Familiarity with digital advertising, including paid social ads, SEO, contests, etc.
- Familiarity with live events as a presenter and/or facilitator on social media (Facebook Live, Instagram Live, Twitch, Youtube, etc).
- Experience working with geodatabases, data visualization, or ArcGIS StoryMaps