General Job Responsibilities
Coordinate and implement communication measures, including marketing, monthly newsletters, annual reports and other publications, as well as social and traditional media. The Events aspect of this position includes coordinating fundraising events, such as the annual birthday bash, surf tournament and main event, as well as program sponsorship. Creation of motivating, attractive, and professional communication, as well as event and outreach products are essential, as is building and strengthening programs through marketing. This coordinator will also supervise Communication & Event interns and volunteers.
Specific Communications Responsibilities
Implement internal and external communications and marketing, including the media schedule, print materials, traditional and social media, and advocacy activities. Create and ensure motivating, attractive, and professional communication and marketing products, including:
- Creation of annual Marketing Plan, in cooperation with the Executive Director
- Production of the monthly print and electronic newsletters
- Production of the Annual Report and Annual Beach Sweeps Report
- Enhancement and integration of COA branding in all aspects
- Update, maintain and enhance the website, and participate in the Website Redesign Team
- Respond to requests to place articles in outside print outlets
- Manage all aspects of fundraising appeals
Specific Event Responsibilities
- Responsible for all coordination, implementation and growth aspects for fundraising events, including annual events such as Under the Sea Birthday Brunch, Annual Surf Open, Ocean Celebration main event, and more, as familiarity with COA develops.
- Aspects include:
- Secure, manage and sustain active volunteer committees for events
- Use timeline document for all details (including for committee meetings and follow-up, event permits, logistics, sponsorships, budget approvals, and more)
- Secure, manage and grow sponsorships for programs, such as Beach Sweeps, Student Summits, Eco-Fest and Rally for the Waterways
- Secure and grow number of corporations, and facilitate financial details for Corporate Sweeps; leverage for future general support
- Manage and grow all aspects of External Events (fundraising events that are coordinated by other entities)
- Ensure increased participation and connection to COA with engagement, including income
Qualifications and Skills
- Creative marketing experience with proven ability to create motivating, attractive, and professional outreach products
- Outstanding verbal and written communication abilities, including strong mastery of the English
- language and editing skills
- Adobe Creative Cloud competency
- Exceptional organizing skills and passion for attention to detail
- Graphics, design and publication production experience
- Digital content creation and application
- Relationship and partnership building experience
- Traditional and social media experience
- Creative thinker with strong multi-project management skills
- Result-oriented, collaborative, professional, resourceful, flexible, and highly responsible
- Environmentally-focused with a desire to protect and improve coastal waters
- Experience with volunteer committees and fundraising
- Database experience, a plus
This position requires evening and weekend work at times. Social media work requires willingness to post 24/7 and availability whenever needed.
Annual Salary: Position is full time. Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
Benefits: Health and dental insurance coverage are offered on a cost-sharing basis, paid holidays and PDO, employer paid professional workshops and trainings.
Application Instructions: Position currently open. Applications will be accepted until position filled. Please send cover letter, CV, three references with affiliations, one writing sample, and salary expectations to Projects [at] CleanOceanAction.org with “Communications & Events Coordinator_Your Name” in the subject line.
Clean Ocean Action is a nonprofit 501(c)3 organization dedicated to protecting marine water quality in the New York Bight (those waters between Montauk Point, NY, and Cape May, NJ, and to the continental shelf). COA is a broad-based coalition of over 115 active boating, business, community, conservation, diving, environmental, fishing, religious, service, student, surfing, and women’s groups. COA identifies sources of pollution and takes actions to stop them using research, education, and citizen action. For more information about COA visit www.cleanoceanaction.org.