As part of NMFS West Coast Region (WCR) Sustainable Fisheries Division (SFD), the Coastal Pelagic Species, Halibut and Ecosystem Branch (the Branch) supports SFD activities as they pertain to the conservation and management of federal fisheries, protected species, and their habitat. In doing so, the Branch develops, reviews and implements fishery regulations and supporting analysis for coastal pelagic species and Pacific halibut fisheries in U.S. waters off Washington, Oregon, and California as well as develops and provides guidance on ecosystem-based fishery management policies. The Branch works with state, federal and international fishery partners, as well as the public, in this review and development of federal fishery policies and regulations.
The duties include: assisting in the preparation of rulemaking documents and supporting analysis (rules, decision documents, biological and environmental review documents); assisting and carrying out activities as required related to specific fishery management issues and problems in accordance with NMFS and WCR policies, procedures, and priorities; and collaborating with and supporting the staff in the WCR on these matters, and assist in development and distribution of materials and information to staff as needed.
Key tasks include the following:
- The employee shall provide professional and technical support services to satisfy specific operational objectives of the Branch as they pertain to the conservation and management of federal fisheries, protected species, and their habitat.
- The employee shall provide policy, program implementation, regulatory coordination, and scientific services support to the Branch. This will include the overall review, identification of critical problems, and assisting in developing analyses of issues and recommending policy positions to present to senior staff of the Branch as well as SFD.
- The employee shall assist in the preparation of rulemaking documents and supporting analyses to ensure regulations are in compliance with the Magnuson-Stevens Act, National Environmental Policy Act, Endangered Species Act, and other applicable laws.
- It will be related to the performance and duties of this task to travel to and participate in various outside meetings (as a non-voting member) and conferences and the employee may be asked to participate on committees and attend meetings (including WCR staff meetings).
- The employee shall provide scientific and policy writing support services to satisfy specific operational objectives of the Branch as they pertain to the conservation and management of federal fisheries, protected species, and their habitat.
- The employee shall write and assist in the writing of rulemaking documents (Decision memorandums, Federal Register notices, Issues advisories), NEPA documents and ESA consultation documents and make necessary revisions or write or conduct analyses, where necessary, in preparation of rulemaking packages and/or policy documents and reports.
- The employee shall develop such documents consistent with formats and timelines from prior years, which involves substantial coordination with the Branch chief, NMFS staff, Pacific Fishery Management Council (PFMC) staff, NMFS Protected Resource Division staff and general counsel, as applicable
- The employee shall provide project support for the Branch’s role and participation in PFMC and International Pacific Halibut Meetings
- Coordinate with staff of the Branch in preparation of PFMC meetings, including preparing briefing papers, background documents and memos, as well as assisting in the preparation of PFMC advisory body reports and statements.
- Quality Assurance / Quality Control (QA/QC)
- The employee shall provide QA/QC for Branch and other SFD work products. This entails reviewing reports, memos, analytical documents, and other written material prepared by other staff to ensure technical consistency with grammar rules and Regional style guides.
- Administrative Recordkeeping
- The employee shall track correspondence and maintain files according to required policies. Depending on the task there may be a need to create and/or maintain files associated with correspondence.
Start Date: Contingent on receiving the award for this contract.
Location: On-Site at a WCR site.
Salary and Benefits: This is a full-time position, overtime is not anticipated. Salary commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package.
Selected individual(s) must have the following minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree, or higher, from an accredited college or university with a major directly related in a field of study as related to the requirements of the specific task order with emphasis in fisheries, oceanography, natural or biological science or marine biology, plus one (1) years of experience in related field. Master’s Degree may be substituted for experience.
Additional required qualifications and or experience include:
- Experience in policy and analysis related to fisheries or other renewable natural resources.
- Ability to articulate, both in the written word and orally, biological and policy information to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work closely with people from diverse scientific and technical backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently, and be solution-oriented and a self-starter.
- Working with diverse interagency teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working with marine fisheries programs or other science-based programs
- Knowledge of the various laws pertaining to management of the fishing industry, including the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, Marine Mammal Protection Act, and the Endangered Species Act.
Additional preferred qualifications and or experience include:
- Experience in preparing fishery or natural resource management analytical documents that articulate policy considerations and alternative approaches to addressing issues, supported by the best available science.
- Knowledge of west coast marine and coastal environment
If you are interested in being considered for this position, please APPLY THROUGH OUR ADP WEB PORTAL, AT THE LINK AT THE TOP RIGHT OF THIS PAGE.
Only qualified applicants that meet minimum experience or background requirements stated above need apply. When applying for this position you will be asked to upload your resume at the end of this online application.
Applicants should submit a resume that includes the following:
- Cover letter that briefly describes how you meet the required and preferred qualifications listed.
- Work history for past 10 years or since last full-time education.
- Previous experience or training with similar requirements.
- Three professional references.
- Include your name in the document file name.
- Upload your resume in readable, not scanned, PDF or Word format (PDF is preferred).
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States, complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire, and successfully complete a federal government background check. Ocean Associates Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of any status or condition protected by applicable federal or state law.
OAI is a government contractor and is required by law to invite applicants to self-identify their race, gender, national origin, disability status and veteran status. OAI is required to use the information it collects as part of its future affirmative action efforts in hiring. The information is collected anonymously by computer and is not connected to your application. You will see a place to check certain boxes in OAI's online application. Even though the information is anonymous, self-identification is voluntary. You can always check the box that says you decline to self-identify.
Note: If you are not selected, your materials may be retained for present or future opportunities. We may use your resume in bidding on a project and if we are awarded the work we will contact you before seeking further applicants. If you do not wish us to retain or use your resume to seek work for you, please let us know in the "Notes" section on the second page of the online application.