Secure our Nation, Ignite your Future
ManTech International is a leader in advanced technologies to help government and industry manage and protect information, support and maintain critical systems, and develop integrated solutions for mission-critical national security programs.
However, ManTech also has a small team (~25 people) of biologists, ecologists, environmental planners, and GIS professionals based out of California who work on federal contracts with various military installations across the Western region. This satellite team works with military and civilian personnel on federal landholdings to responsibly and effectively manage land and wildlife for conservation.
We are seeking marine mammal monitors to perform monitoring for space launches from Vandenberg Space Force Base. The marine mammal monitors will work under the direction of our Projects Director and Deputy Program Manager and collaboratively with our team of biologists to ensure monitoring protocols and data collection procedures are performed effectively. Applicants must demonstrate proficiency in the identification of all potential pinnipeds that may occur along the coast and offshore of California, have marine mammal monitoring experience, and excellent data collection skills. The work would largely be conducted in remote, rugged areas, including San Miguel Island, and would require hiking and camping skills. Monitoring trips may last up to two weeks, but are typically one week in duration. Monitors will work in pairs and be provided a satellite phone while deployed for safety.
**To apply, please include in your resume any prior monitoring experience, certifications, qualifications, and references.**
Roles & Responsibilities
- Perform pinniped monitoring for launch programs out of Vandenberg Space Force Base.
- Follow data collection protocols outlined in permit documents (permits and training will be provided after hire).
- Travel in helicopter or small airplane to and from monitoring locations.
- Identify California pinniped species and age classes.
- Prepare simple reports summarizing monitoring efforts and outcomes.
- Co-manage (under supervision) logistics of trip preparation, procurement of supplies, travel, and on-island logistics associated with working on the northern Channel Islands.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) Degree in Biology, Ecology, or related Natural Resources field required, Master’s Degree in related field of study preferred
- 10+ years’ experience with coastal California biological resources, specifically including marine mammals.
- Demonstrated ability to identify pinniped species and age classes occurring in California waters.
- Previous marine mammal monitoring experience.
- Demonstrated creativity and initiative, good verbal and written communication skills, independent thinking, good problem-solving skills, technical field skills and knowledge of ecology, conservation biology, habitat restoration
- Strong leadership skills, ability to work independently and as a team member, and exemplary work habits, especially related to safety, common sense, punctuality, and adaptability.
- Ability to work in remote locations that require up to two weeks of camping with minimal resources available.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applicable federal environmental regulations including Marine Mammal Protection Act and Endangered Species Act.
- Clearance: None required.
For all positions requiring access to technology/software source code that is subject to export control laws, employment with the company is contingent on either verifying U.S.-person status or obtaining any necessary license. The applicant will be required to answer certain questions for export control purposes, and that information will be reviewed by compliance personnel to ensure compliance with federal law. ManTech may choose not to apply for a license for such individuals whose access to export-controlled technology or software source code may require authorization and may decline to proceed with an applicant on that basis alone.
ManTech International Corporation, as well as its subsidiaries proactively fulfills its role as an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, marital status, physical or mental disability, status as a Disabled Veteran, Recently Separated Veteran, Active Duty Wartime or Campaign Badge Veteran, Armed Forces Services Medal, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a position with ManTech through its online applicant system, please contact ManTech's Corporate EEO Department at (703) 218-6000. ManTech is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer - minorities, females, disabled and protected veterans are urged to apply. ManTech's utilization of any external recruitment or job placement agency is predicated upon its full compliance with our equal opportunity/affirmative action policies. ManTech does not accept resumes from unsolicited recruiting firms. We pay no fees for unsolicited services.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access http://www.mantech.com/careers/Pages/careers.aspx as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation please click careers [at] mantech.com and provide your name and contact information.