Reports to: Digital Communications Manager
Location: Based in Copenhagen
N.B. Applications will be assessed upon receipt; we therefore encourage early submission. Due to the high volume of applications received, ONLY successful candidates will be contacted.
Oceana is the most effective ocean conservation organisation in existence. We are a leader in science-based advocacy, and we campaign for policies to make the world’s oceans more abundant, vibrant, and biodiverse. We operate as a combined international organisation. Through recent expansion, our talented staff consists of about 240 people, working in more than 12 countries, including scientists, communications, policy and advocacy experts.
When you work at Oceana, you are part of an organization that literally changes people's lives by protecting the oceans, improving food security and enhancing livelihoods. Whether you are contributing as a policy advocate, expert, fundraiser, or team member, you play a pivotal role in helping people achieve their goals every day. Our culture is one of talented people working together with a common purpose.
As an Oceana team member, you know that what you do matters. Join us today to protect the world’s oceans and restore them to their former level of abundance!
The Social Media Specialist will manage and grow our social and emerging media campaigning and daily outreach. This person will be a member of the Digital Communications Team embedded in our Campaigns in Europe. The Social Media Specialist will ensure campaign messaging is effectively carried out on Oceana’s social media channels and will be responsible for the development, production, and distribution of social media content for Oceana’s campaigns, organizational communications, and fundraising.
Social Media and Communications Specialist in Copenhagen:
a) Create social media campaigns and other digital content:
- Lead day-to-day management of Oceana social media channels by drafting messages and creating content which meets our organization’s standards and best practices.
- Create content for social media, blog, e-news, and other channels as needed, including visuals, videos, and other media types.
- Increase online actions, sign-ups, donations, website traffic, and other engagement via Oceana’s social networks and tools.
- Run online advocacy campaigns across Europe, in collaboration with campaign leaders, and other social media actions for fundraising and general organizational communications.
b) Deliver general communications actions in Denmark:
- Update Oceana’s database of Danish media contacts, handle media enquiries, arrange interviews and act as local media contact.
- Co-organise or support briefings and events, in coordination with other communications staff; draft and/or send out press releases.
- Translate and adapt materials into Danish.
c) Monitor impact and support team communications:
- Coordinate daily with the rest of communications colleagues to ensure consistent and timely messaging, as well as fully leveraging of Oceana’s website, deliverables, and resources.
- Analyse data, evaluate impact, conduct social listening, and look for ways to improve results and meet our goals to increase the number of followers and engagement.
- Stay abreast of social media best practices and propose new insights-informed tactics for integration in digital and campaign communications plans.
- Provide inputs to the communications calendar, maintain a social media calendar and stay up to date regarding actions developed by communications colleagues.
- Manage media monitoring and contribute to the European consolidated media summary and monthly reports.
- Any other function within the scope that the Senior Director, Advocacy and/or the Digital Communications Manager may request.
Education and work experience:
- Good knowledge of English (C1 level) and Danish (native or equivalent)
- At least 3 years of experience driving social media engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in paid social media advertising and social media analytics.
- Experience with software or apps for photo and video editing.
- Experience as a journalist a plus.
- Eligibility to work in Denmark.
Skills and knowledge:
- Pro-active, strong team player, able to work individually on a project and in a team environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to adapt complex information to social media requirements.
- Self-driven attitude, ability to create a contents calendar and to develop contents without the need of ongoing input.
- Journalistic approach and ability to identify trends and react to unexpected news.
- Willingness to interact with people of different nationalities and backgrounds.
- Ability to deliver under high pressure and tight deadlines.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, ability to effectively manage multiple projects and initiative to be productive during waiting periods.
- Attention to detail, strong follow-through.
- Good judgment and discretion when dealing with sensitive topics.
- Genuine interest in ocean conservation and knowledge of EU policy a plus.
The above declarations are not intended to be an “all inclusive” list of duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job and are a reasonable representation of its activities.
Oceana is an equal opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers. We are actively committed to ensuring that no individual is discriminated against on the grounds of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
To apply for the post:
Please apply through our website https://europe.oceana.org/en/about-us/employment-opportunities/social-me... before September 17th, 2021. Please send your cv in English version.
FUNDACION OCEANA is the Controller of the Data Subject’s personal data and informs that these data shall be processed in accordance with the provisions of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of 27 April (GDPR) and the Organic Law 3/2018 of 5 December (LOPDGDD), for a legitimate interest of the Controller, providing the following information on the processing:
- Purpose of the processing: to include the Data Subject in the personnel selection processes, analyzing the applicant’s profile with the aim of selecting the best candidate for the Controller’s vacancy.
- Legitimacy of the processing: unequivocal consent clearly indicated by the Data Subject.
- Data storage criteria: data will be stored for a maximum period of one year, after which the data will be erased, guaranteeing full respect for confidentiality both in the processing and subsequent destruction. To this effect, once this period has elapsed, and if you wish to continue participating in the Controller’s selection processes, please send us your CV again.
- Updating data: in the event of any modification to your data, please inform us in writing as soon as possible in order to keep your data duly updated.
- Data disclosure: Your data may be communicated to third parties because they are necessary to achieve the purpose of the treatment, or by legal obligation.
- Rights of the Data Subject:
- Right to withdraw consent at any time.
- Right of access, rectification, portability and erasure of data and the limitation or objection to their processing.
- The right to file a claim with the Spanish Supervisory Authority (www.aepd.es) if you consider that the processing does not comply with the current legislation.
- Contact information to exercise their rights: FUNDACION OCEANA. Gran Vía 62, 7 Izq. - 28013 Madrid.