The Smithsonian Institution’s MarineGEO program seeks a motivated data technician to join our team. MarineGEO is a global network of partners using a standard toolkit of observations and coordinated experiments to understand how biodiversity and ecosystem health are changing in coastal marine ecosystems as they face global change pressures.
The Data Technician will support MarineGEO’s data processing, analysis, and sharing goals. Duties include processing data submissions from MarineGEO partners, maintaining databases and R-Shiny web interfaces, assisting MarineGEO scientists to develop standardized protocols and data sheets, and contributing to the overall scientific quality of the operation. The Technician will work with the MarineGEO Director and Data Coordinator to ensure major data sharing and analysis goals of MarineGEO are met in a timely and effective manner.
- Bachelor’s degree, Associate’s degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience in biology, ecology, environmental science, geography, computer science, or related discipline
- Coding experience in languages like R or Python
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with an interdisciplinary and international team
Desired Experience (at least some of the following):
- Implementing data integration, cleaning, and quality assurance
- Using GitHub to facilitate collaboration
- Managing large or complex datasets
- Familiarity with the science of coastal ecology, biodiversity, climate change, and experimental and/or monitoring research
- Designing R Shiny apps
- Producing field and lab data
MarineGEO values diversity in all forms, and the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center community recognizes the value of diversity in promoting innovative science and creative solutions. We recognize each applicant will bring unique skills, knowledge, experiences, and backgrounds to this position. We encourage persons from any historically underrepresented group in environmental and data sciences to apply. The Smithsonian Institution is an equal opportunity employer, committed to a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, marital/parental/caregiver status, and disability.
This position is Smithsonian Trust employment and offers paid leave, health, vision, dental, and other benefits. Proof of authorization to work in the U.S. is required. This is not a federal position.
Please submit a single PDF including a one-page cover letter and two-page resume to MarineGEO [at] si.edu with the subject line “MarineGEO Data Technician” by September 30, 2021.