Citation Information: Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
Date: March 2011
Description: This document describes the marine planning system in England for the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) and other interested organisations and persons. It is being handed over to the MMO who will use and develop the guidance as they start to prepare Marine Plans.
The Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009, "the Act", defines arrangements for a new system of marine management, including the introduction of marine planning, across the UK. The new arrangements provided for the creation of the MMO. The MMO will deliver UK marine policy objectives for English waters through a series of statutory Marine Plans and other measures.
This document considers the following themes on the marine planning system:
- its general purpose and benefits;
- its scope, context, structure and implementation;
- roles and responsibilities within the marine planning system;
- the interaction between terrestrial and marine planning systems; and
- decision making in Marine Plan areas and the transitional arrangements for decision making until the marine planning system has been fully implemented across the whole of England‘s marine area.
The MMO must develop a system of marine planning which is consistent with the provisions within the Act. These requirements are detailed in this document where appropriate.