Monitoring coral reefs within the Reef 2050 Integrated Monitoring and Reporting Program: final report of the coral reef expert group
March 3, 2020 - 12:10pm
Year of publication: 2020
Date published: 02/2020
Publishing institution: Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority
The Coral Reef Expert Group (CREG) was one of eight expert groups, which all followed a prescribed process to recommend a design for their thematic component.
The tasks of the expert groups included:
- Synopsis of the theme, to include discussion on current state, primary drivers, pressures and responses using DPSIR framework.
- Review of all current monitoring and modelling activities relevant to the expert group theme.
- Identify candidate indicators that can be monitored and would provide information about trend, status or forecasting of value or the system.
- Evaluation of the adequacy and confidence of current monitoring and modelling of candidate indicators, determined by their ability to meet the objectives of the RIMReP and management needs provided by the Authority.
- Identification and discussion of gaps and opportunities in current monitoring and modelling of such indicators.
- Evaluation of new monitoring technologies for their potential to increase efficiency or statistical power and their compatibility with long-term datasets.
- Recommendations for monitoring design including consideration of primary indicators, continuity of data sets, how the design addresses management needs, modification to existing programs, costing and transition strategies.